Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 04:27 PM
TE Newbie

Default Photo Conversion

The photos that I have taken have width of 1600 pixels and height of 1200 pixels. The sizes are approximately 983 KB in Jpeg format. How do I reduce it to Trek Earth specifications of 800 pixels x 250 pixels and maximum size of 300KB without clipping or cropping. I am not very computer savvy and this tip could be very useful to me.

thanks

Aditya
Old 08-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Banned

Default Re: Photo Conversion

An answer...
Have a good day!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 PM
TE Newbie

Without knowing what software you have available it is difficult to advise you properly but here are the simple steps for doing it in Photoshop or Elements:

With the photo open, press Ctrl+Alt+I to bring up the image size dialogue box. Here enter the pixel dimensions appropriate to TE, ie Save for web....
You'll get a dialogue box that shows the current size. With jpg selected, adjust the quality slider until the file size is below 300kbs. Then hit Save and give the picture file a name.

That's all there is to it :o)

Hope that helps,
Rob
Old 08-28-2009, 03:51 PM
TE Newbie

PIXresizer
Old 10-20-2009, 11:19 AM
TE Newbie

I've been using VSO Image Resizer for a little over a year. Most any of teh changes from format, size, density can be changed. It's a free download and easy to play/learn.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:54 PM
TE Newbie

Try this on-line editor:

http://www.online-image-editor.com
Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 PM
TE Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaditya View Post
The photos that I have taken have width of 1600 pixels and height of 1200 pixels. The sizes are approximately 983 KB in Jpeg format. How do I reduce it to Trek Earth specifications of 800 pixels x 250 pixels and maximum size of 300KB without clipping or cropping. I am not very computer savvy and this tip could be very useful to me.

thanks

Aditya
Hi Aditya,
Please note that the measurement can be 800 x 600 pixels at resolution of 72
There are two methods of preparing for web photo ...
(A)... one is setting camera to required image output if your camera allows it. This is the max amount of photos your camera will take. The pixels on it would read 640 x 480. It is the smallest size shots, which is the web res then this can be increased by your computer photo programme to 800 x 600 x 72 or 300 res for TE.
The pixels you quote I think represent the third smallest shot your camera takes, and need to be reduced for TE or web. This gives you the second least number of photos your camera takes .

(B)... The other method is using a computer programme
Please note having reduced or increased your photo ... Sharpen it using levels -- sharpening --- unsharp mask... apply/Ok

I would advise to Work on a copy of the image you want to reduce in case of error I do.
Open image you want to reduce .
Depending upon your photo editing programme ,,, select image.... dublicate... Ok... Select image... Image size... (Image Box appears with figures) Pixels dimensions With and height will have figures in them replace these figures with 800 x 600... figures in document size box will change automatically... resolution will read 72... leave this ... Resolution image: Bicubic.. Accept OK
The image will reduce to a small icon. save and accept save in jpeg...
reopen image and sharpen as described above... also please Note:
(Ensure the three boxes Scale/ constrain/resample on bottom left are ticked).
(If increasing size you can change Bicubic ... to Bicubic Sharper ) or
(If decreasing size you can change Bicubic...to Bibucic smoother... but this is not necessary)

The above method applies to photo shop.. the principles would apply to any
editing programe I am sure.
Hope this is of some benifit to you... Like yourself I am learning
Best regards
Dermot