Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-31-2007, 05:03 PM
TE Junior Member

Default How long do you work an image?

Just out of curiosity, how long do you spend post-processing an image? I just realized that I can spend up to 8 hours trying to get an image where I want it to... share your thoughts
Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: How long do you work an image?

Well, 8 hours is a little to much for an image. What are you using to do the post processing?
In all that time what do you actually do?
Let me know.

Daniel
Old 07-31-2007, 06:26 PM
TE Junior Member

I don't sit down and work 8 hours until finished. I do have several post processing methods. I experiment new techniques, but most of the time goes on the details, finding the over-exposed areas, the under-exposed, cleaning out dust, things to clone out, does it looks better in BW or color or duotone, etc. Usually I will work for an hour or two then put the image a side and comeback the next day, if I still like I do the finishing touches(never on the master): typography, cropping/resizing and sharpening.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:40 PM
TE Expert

I'm just hoping that Adam S. won't read this tread..

But...
If he will... Well...
You're outta here, Enrigue !!!

(:-)))))))))

Old 07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
TE Expert

Me? Ages!!!

:))))))
Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 PM
TE Expert

ADAM !!!

WHERE ARE YOU ?????

We have a bunch of rebels on our hands...!!!

(:-))))))

Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 PM
TE Expert

Please, I am merely being candid here, not meaning as an insult, but looking at your photos, just a few on the first page, I am struggling to understand what the 8 hours were spent for? Again, not interested in uquality judgement, just quantity of work done. One example: the peonies flowers.

More generally, I have a friend who spend hours on converting color to B&W, then resize at 800x533 (or the like) for the net sites. To me, such patient, labor of love type of work gets a bit lost un printed, unpromoted, amidst millions of others pix on the net. I think with the net and the digital, we are losing the idea that a picture is something very concrete, and that photography is not quite photography if subordinated to one media only.

You guessed it, I spend less than 30 minutes on my shots, and they've sold very well like that. But my hat off to people refining and being finicky in their craft. It certainly shows dedication, just that it deserves other outlets than the net, IMO.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:28 AM
TE Expert

another rebel

I remember the time that I knew nothing about PP and wanted a scanned photo 10x15 really look like the photo itself .... that took me 3 weeks of editing and editing and comparing, I got my goal finally ...

but with digital nowadays about 15 minutes average, some even two minutes, simply a screendump :)) and no one notice ... :)) don't bother even about a border, never did join the choas-bordering on TE :)), some borders are even nicer the the photo itself. Look, I am a decent photographer, I border sober !:)
Old 08-01-2007, 02:26 AM
TE Junior Member

If I have to work on an image for more than half an hour, then it probably wasn't my best image in the first place (My Basel shots come to mind because the weather conditions were terrible). I probably spend another half an hour doing the research and writing for the notes (especially with my overseas stuff) and then another half an hour to an hour critiquing -- man! I think I must be an addict to spend that much time!
:)
Silke
Old 08-01-2007, 05:31 AM
TE Expert

Hi!
8 hours!!! I take about a couple of minutes maximum... if i had to spend eight hours to make a picture presentable, i may think it is not worth the hassle!!! I only resize, sharpen, sometimes a bit of general exposure(rarely)my colors i never touch... i like it natural.. if it needs much work, i dont post for a couple of reasons 1/ i am very lazy. 2/ if it needs so much trickery, it may not be such a nice pic... but i am a bit old school! On the other hand eight hours is good practice!
Cheers and good luck...