Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-25-2007, 01:05 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Critiques - how long does it take you?

It used to be easy but as I refine what I like, it becomes more difficult to express my ideas in any meaningful way.
I truly feel getting rid of the point system for myself has lifted a weight from my shoulders. I'm only human and always felt a little obligated to return the "favor" of an acknowledgement of one of my photos. That is not what I wanted once I spent some time here on TE. I didn't want ot have a subconcious influence on the style of my photographs either, so I opted for the less popular form of participation in TE...no f*&kin' points.
It's obviously a less popular stance, but who cares. If someone, other than myself, likes one of my photos I'm more than pleased.
Like Erwitt, I really feel that I need to photograph what I find interesting and not photograph what others feel is outstanding. If I happen to connect upon my journey with a (1 maybe) person, than I don't feel so alone.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 AM
TE Senior Member

Too long.
I can never imagine to write 20 critiques, I think it would take all day.
I look at the photo, decide to write a critique.
Then I see more,
crap critique, have to edit.
Not nice enough,
only one point?
1-15 minutes.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 AM
TE Senior Member

I too like to think before write. I also spend so much time doing critiques and at the end of an hour or two I go back to find that I only wrote less than a dozen... Concerning editing, I misspell and mistype a lot, but right now I found a great thing. If you use Firefox like me you can automatically spell check the critique text box. And you can even install new dictionaries to spell check in Portuguese, French... That's a cool feature. At least, I don't make as many spelling errors as before.
l.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 AM
TE Senior Member

Gosh, I should have read the thread till the end. Now I repeated your Firefox dictionaries tip. Oh my, let's say I reinforced it. :) Always in front of me dear Claire.
Stay safe, l.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:32 AM
TE Senior Member

Takes me about 40 or so minutes on my lunchbreak usually to comment on my favourites, look at the photos of people who have commented on my work, and then go through the first 30 pages or so in the gallery. Usually I'll do 10 or so critiques each day.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:32 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Shelly. I'd also spent so much time just writing critiques only for 6-7 photos. I don't think I have ever used all of my daily smileys since I joined in this community. Now I write even less, one-two critiques each weeks which isn't really considered nice here.

When I see a photo that hits my spot, I imagine so much things from it and I read story and it doesn't seem to end. Then I want to tell those feelings I had from seeing the photo. O gosh, I can't just stop by and say "**snap!** nice photo, lovely moment, I like it!!" , but I want the photographer to know what I got inside here(pointing my chest)

So, answering your question, it used to take 2-3 hours for browsing TE pages and writing critiques on less than 10 pieces of photos, now I spend less time on here so maybe 1 hour for 2 critiques? I feel bad about my less participation but 1 hour is what I can offer for right now..
Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Well lately I haven't wrote a lot of them..but if I do...20 of them takes a lot of time. Around an hour or two. Most of the times I'm also doing other things in between..watching the forums etc. I think one critique takes a minute of 4-5 in general, observing, thinking what to write, writing (although I type fast) and correcting errors and rereading the piece.

Quite sometimes followed by another edit..adding a few lines or correcting something I did not feel satisfied with.
So yes, writing a bunch of them seriously requires some good TE time.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:44 PM
TE Senior Member

I'm slow, Shelly, probably 5 to 15 minuets each. But if you follow the other themes in this forum, you will see that for some people it takes no time at all. They write one critique and paste it to all the pictures. However, looking at the picture and thinking about it does take quite some time.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:50 PM
TE Junior Member

to write a critique takes only a 1-2 minutes. But I need more then one hour to look to the images of my favourites and to the new images on the gallery and to select the ones I would like to write a critique.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:58 PM
TE Expert

I agree that I'm probably taking more time in finding the right images to critique!
After that it'll take 1 to 2 minutes to critique for a concise one of 4-5 lines.
I also do a small number of critiques that are really in depth, like a page of background information. These take a long time, because I'll be looking for background information. Those take longer and sometimes I'll keep a shot in my favourites to ponder over the critique.

I love doing workshops, that also takes a lot of time. And 2 uploads for workshops a day is often too little for me. ;-)

Greetings, Dennis