Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-03-2007, 04:32 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: How long do you work an image?

If you need more then 5 minutes - my proposal: delete the photo !!!
-------------------------------

Why?
Old 08-03-2007, 06:03 PM
TE Junior Member

More than 5 minutes delete photo...
=======================================

I have to disagree. I think that you have to explore the image and discover things that will make your work different from the norm.

My work flow is extensive, from every image I create master file and from there: - a version for printing (TIF)
- a version for TE (JPEG)
- a version for microstock (tif/jpeg)
- other
Old 08-04-2007, 01:32 AM
TE Expert

I would rather say
if the photo doesn't learn anything about the world like TE aspires to, why even bother to edit for TE :), maybe better for TL then
but if you got that learning about the world, a not so good quality photo can be worked out with some patience to an appealing informative one, often you can see that in a WS.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:03 AM
TE Junior Member

Let's take this on another tangent, shall we? ;-)

"photography is an art"
Really? Is photography more than just captation?
What is artistic about pointing your camera in one direction and then pressing a shutter to capture what you are seeing? Is it the subjective beauty we see when we decide what will be in that little rectangle, we will call a picture later on, that makes it art?
Photography is merely an activity of captation that allows us to imagine that we are sharing what we see (with emotions attached). People often like to give it a certain value as we imagine our composition and choices make it an artistic expression. Perhaps it is our way to post-process it that approaches it of art. Or then simply photography is a feeble way to give ourselves an artist's tag while in reality we are simply busy snapping away at something we see rather than using our true abilities of creativity. Creativity as understood as being the use of imagination or original ideas, also as the outcome of our ability to breed various thoughts and ideas and practical experiences together to form something never before created.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to disqualify photography being an art. Rather just pull it out from the artistic halo it seems to get wrapped into way too often IMO.

As for the original post: I understand your 8 hours very well.
I spend a little eternity on my images as well as I am unable to properly transcribe colours into the web format. They always get washed out. I am still at a loss as to why this is happening. I know I am doing something wrong, I just don't know what.
I also happen to be a horrible perfectionist and think that I am not much of a photographer so I have to work up immense courage to post my images. And when I finally do, I need them to be spotless. I am just too attached to the bits of what I see, I guess.

Excellent thread by the way! Thanks!

All the best,
Julia
Old 08-04-2007, 06:53 AM
TE Expert

I think it's the word "art" itself that seems to get wrapped in a halo. From a zen point of view, just the act of seeing is art too. Why make that word, or the concept of it, so lofty and unattaianable by an artistic personality, if he/she happens to be a photographer?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:45 AM
TE Junior Member

From a Zen point of view, the mere fact of being alive is art. It is true art to be able to endure what we endure as physical beings and still be able to express joy and happiness.

Personally I consider nothing just as much as everything art.
I just threw in an argument, not one I am particularly attached to. I guess I just like the joy of tossing around ideas or pushing around meaning :-)
What I don't enjoy however, is when someone tries to make a point by excusing any given action by its perceived nature (f.-ex. one is allowed to do endless PP because the very nature of photography lays on artistic creation... which in my opinion is the same as saying it is fine to enhance physical performances by taking drugs because the very nature of sports is to push the limits of the human body to the out-most). It reduces arguments to simple questions of semantics. It's the kind of thinking that allows our planet to run as it does...

Just my two cents worth of thoughts.
All the best,
Julia :-)
Old 08-04-2007, 08:38 AM
TE Expert

I am missing out on an interesting forum discussion!

Well, I normally spend between 2 and 15 minutes. The 15 minutes for the RAW images and 2-10 for the Jpegs. Some things I adjust and save in the original. Some things I only save on the resized version.

Things almost always done:
- Unsharp mask; and/or
- Smart sharpening; and/or
- Contrast / Brightness balance;
- Resizing and canvas for framing.

Some things sometimes done:
- Saturation enhancement;
- Shadows/highlights;
- Some specific filters like noise reduction and basic lense effects.

Some things ver occasionally done:
- Gradual filters;
- Masking, blurring, clone-stamping.

If it takes more than 15 minutes, I just don't do it. Not because it might not be a good picture, not because it's not worth doing it or posting it. But because I have more than enough other shots that deserve to be posted as well and need less work...

Quite often I spend the same time, if not more, about thinking of the note, saving the exif data separately, saving the Raw adjustment file and backing it all up weekly on two separate drives...

Hope it helps! Dennis
Old 08-04-2007, 08:41 AM
TE Expert

I agree. I spend more times on bad weather shots. But half an hour is already quite long for me. And yes, good notes are highly appreciated and I also spend quite some time on them. Well, not on every single one, but I do my best!

Greetings, Dennis
Old 08-04-2007, 08:43 AM
TE Expert

Haha, I can talk with you!

I just wrote my reply at the bottom and I'm now reading through all the notes. 2 to 15 minutes. Where would I otherwise find that extra time to spend on one picture?! :-))

Screendump, that's a dirty word... Bad, bad ;-)

Dennis
Old 08-04-2007, 08:55 AM
TE Expert

I wouldn't delete them. But perhaps not post them or work on them at a later stage when I'm unemployed :-).

Enrique, I agree with experimenting. True! The only way to know your program is to experiment. Better than any course or book.
But on average, not taking into account the experimenting, 8 hours is really a bit over the top. How do you find time to take pictures if you take 8 hours per shot on post processing?! In a week you could only pp 10 pictures, though I might shoot 1000 pictures in a week of which I finally keep 300. It would take me over half a year to pp that one week of shooting, those 300 final pictures....