Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-30-2007, 08:28 AM
TE Expert

Default Mιfiance..

Je vous que tout le monde prend ce changement du bon cτtι de la chose..
j'espθre juste ne pas κtre trop nιgatif...
Mefiance, mefiance...
Old 06-30-2007, 08:30 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: TrekEarth has a New Owner

PS
an explicit feature worth to be considered to be implemented which could reduce the pejorative name 'big brother' and saving the moderator a lot of intervention time, to maintain the TE-spirit in a self-regulating and protective way avoiding regular provocations or stalking which results often in removing whole threads or even photos ... so that more time comes free to moderate the unique target of TE banning senseless personal discussions to mail to solve differences ...
how weird it may sound, not often mentioned in the forums but implemented already in a lot of other photo-sites is a black-list that could serve the "don't worry, be happy!" :).
Like we all evolve in photography step by step thanks to TE, TE could do likewise, step by step for the better ...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:03 AM
TE Expert

As Isabel, I like to thank Adam for this site, for create it and developpe it and keep it working. For the new team just ask them to keep the level of freedom of expression we have had here all this time, where many subjects have found their place. To know the world through photos is great, but it doesnt means only landscape and beautiful or exotic faces...

Welcome and please, be open minded.

Miguel Parra
Old 06-30-2007, 02:55 PM
TE Junior Member

Good question ! I'm curious to know the answer to this one as well !
Wikitravel doesn't seem to appear on the list of the Wikimedia projects (which include Wikipedia)... ?

Best regards,
Julia
Old 06-30-2007, 04:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Adam, Thank You.
It may sound a little odd but this site has truly revolutionised my Life! It's not often one gets to meet such wonderful people online (and then off-line!), who not only have similar interests (travel, photography and discovering the world around us) but who are also open-minded and actively looking forward to getting better at their photographic skills both by receiving criticism as well as giving it.

Adam, You have opened a space on this planet, in this space between our personal computers and Lives that is truly unique and worth all the effort you have poured into it. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.

I'm always a little sceptical and remain worried by new owners but hope that they have and will continue paying you well for this exquisite work you have done and hopefully continue doing :D Great that there are now more resources behind it all and I'm looking forward to possible positive changes (like cleaning up the equipment and locations -lists as Brigitte suggested).

And Thank You to all those amongst you who have contributed in making this site what it is.

At the same time I truly, TRULY hope that this does not mean that our pictures will be used across the other sites without the photographer's express consent. I hope this does not mean that TE (& TN & TL) will just become free image banks. I also hope that TE will remain free to use !

Whatever this will bring, time will tell. Hope it'll all be for the best! :-)

Julia
Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 PM
TE Expert

Congrats Adam and thanx for the hard work you put in to make the site what it was and it still is now. Great that your are able to put all your energy behind it now.
And congrats John and Ryan with the purchase of the site, and welcome aboard. I noticed the increased speed after the move to the new servers and it’s highly appreciated. As to the future of the site – you spoke some reassuring words which I also appreciate. I can only advice you that if you consider changes to the site, to do that in the more or less interactive way that Adam did and stay alert to signals of us members.
I hope indeed that that ‘corporate TE’ will be to the best interest of all parties involved and judging on what I read in this thread this seem to be the case. So cheers to a new chapter in the history of the site.
Best regards from Rotterdam,
Bert
Old 07-01-2007, 06:17 AM
TE Expert

I agree with Brigitte. Cleaning and improving equipement database is important. And also for locations.
Congratulations for all together.
JP
Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 AM
TE Senior Member

Congratulations and many thanks to Adam for having done such a fantastic work with this site and welcome and good luck to the new owners, John and Ryan. I wish you all the best for your future work with this great community that TE has became.

Nevertheless, I am still a bit worried by two points:

The first point is that I imagine that the commercial purpose of the site will become probably much higher. In this sense, I think that the becoming of the copyright specifications for our pictures and the evolution of the commercial philosophy of TE will have to be very clearly presented to the members. TE was not a commercial image database and I am sure that a lot of us would be very disapointed if this was the way chosen for its evolution. To be positive, the copyright aspect is a very important problem and it might be the big challenge to face, now that TE takes a new azimuth...

The second point is related to the general atmosphere of TE. I am, as I think many of us are, very attached to the friendly and positive relations that are existing between the members here. I have followed, as everybody, all the discussions about points, relevance of critiques/comments, compliance of the images with the TOS and I sincerely hope that the enforcement of these aspects won't become the main driver of TE. The fact that Adam will stay the moderator makes me quite confident that the general atmosphere will stay what it is today, but I don't know which degree of freedom he will have at shorter or longer term. I would just not like to see the "cliques" of friends replaced by cliques of "sheriffs"...

But I'm sure that TE has such a strong identity that all will be done in the positive way! Once again, Thank you, Adam and success to John and Ryan.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:41 PM
TE Expert

Congratulations Adams!

When I think about how you’ve initiated this site and what it became, we can all only rejoyce and be delighted for you. This is not only an incredible website, it’s a living community, something more human than virtual.

I hope that John, Ryan and their team at Internet Brands, will have the sensibility to truly understand and respect what you have created. I also hope that they will not force you to wear a suit and a tie... :-D)

Concerning security and copyright of our photos, I would like to add my suggestion: Would it be possible to "lock" our photos, so nobody else than actual members could copy the images for workshop? And to become an "integral member" with all privileged access, you would have to post 5 photos. That way, this process would avoid people to only registered for the purpose of getting access to the photos and stealing them. This will greatly reduced the numbers of passers-by pickpockets and people who only register but never contributes, neither with comments or with their own photos. For example, I’m on the list of "favorite" from someone who have never came here as a contributor, and the only reason why he put me on his list of favorite is because we have the same family name... (Benoit Roberge).

One last thing: Please make sure that we will never see a new message in the Forum, saying:
TrekEarth has a new owner: «Hi! My name is Bill, CEO of a small corporation called MicroSoft...».
Old 07-01-2007, 03:59 PM
TE Expert

Adam,

Thank you Adam for this site. I hope the changes will be for the better.

My other questions parallels Alvin Brown (cormack) questions.

erdna