Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great euryan 2007-06-03 20:09

Hi Julia,
I need to introduce you to my friend Chris. I think you two would understand each other perfectly. He just returned from a three-month trip to Asia where he was trying to find...understanding? Happiness? Meaning? An alternative to western society? I'm not quite sure, but whatever it was he didn't find it. I told him whatever it was he was looking for could be found right here. He didn't need to travel to Asia, or anywhere else, to find it. It sounds like you already know that. From your note it sounds like you are indeed going to expound your knowledge of the human existence, which I think is a good thing. However, if you go looking for answers, I'm afraid you may end up like my friend Chris... more confused.
Thank goodness I am just a simpleton. Deep thoughts hurt my brain, so I try and avoid them. ;)

I like this photo. It’s nicely balanced, and has a cold, yet peaceful atmosphere.
Regards,
Ryan
P.S. Do you want me to introduce you to my friend Chris? It sounds like you guys could be soul mates. ;-)

Old 06-04-2007, 03:25 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To euryan: Chris...

!! I laughed as I read your comment !!
Thank You for these giggles in the middle of the night (yes... I should be sleeping!)!

Soul mates?
Oh my... I'm starting to wonder how many of those I have on this Earth... it seems that there are worryingly many! ;D
But yes! Of course!
Getting to know someone who just spent 3 months in Asia can only be a massive plus!

And you are right, the answers are here, no need to move away from right where we are. A wise man once said that "the brave do nothing; only the cowardly feel the need to prove their bravery"... and I sometimes wonder whether I'm a coward or just nuts ;-)
I am not leaving to look for answers, simply to delve deeper into how humans understand Life and how they experience it. I am curious to see how (for example) Asians conceive the very essence of what Life is. It's not something you can read in a book, it's something you need to experience, something to let yourself sink into. And I'll have to admit that I thrive on uncertainty and in unfamiliar settings... I love it when I have to start over from the very basics and rediscover how humans have managed to arrange themselves into cohabitation, and how they have dealt with the whole issue of communication. I'm a terrible free-fall-observation-junkie ;D
I definitely seek no alternatives to anything, I'm just curious to see how else we/humans experience Life on various parts of this planet. And, hum... happiness is within, not in the ever changing stimuli we submit ourselves to... !

And you might be a simpleton (or try to convince me you are ;D) but there are only a few on this Earth who are as sensitive as you are to this planet's Beauty!

Thank You for your comment on the picture... coming from you, those words mean more than a lot!

All the best,
Julia
Old 06-04-2007, 04:07 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To euryan: Chris...

First of all… GO TO BED!
Early to bed, early to rise, makes a girl healthy, wealthy, and WISE.
Or so they say, but I’m a night owl too.

Anyway, your response was very well put, and I feel better now about your reasons for going to Asia. You are a very smart and sensitive person, which is often a hazardous combination. It’s much easier to be smart and have no feelings, or to be sensitive with no profound thoughts in your brain. I guess that is your cross to bear in life. Poor Julia was born smart and sensitive. Again I’m thankful I’m just a simpleton, with no feelings. Wait a minute…. I think I can remember being smart once (along time ago), and I think I used to be sensitive as well. It was unbearable. I don’t envy you Julia, I only hope you can change like me. ;-)

In all seriousness though, just think of how this world could be if everyone was smart and sensitive. Unfortunately there is only a handful on this Earth. I hope you have a wonderful trip to Asia. I’m sure you will come back even wiser than ever.

“happiness is within, not in the ever changing stimuli we submit ourselves to... !”
Well said! I couldn’t agree more.

Oh, and I can assure you of one thing Julia. You are not a coward. You’re just nuts ;-)
Old 06-04-2007, 04:34 PM
TE Expert

sorry about jumping into this conversation.
But I guess I wanted to input my two cents of thoughts too.

Travelling is something that I have always questioned myself too. Is it some defence mechanism in my case for running away from reality (In order not to face the current situation) or is it something I really want to do.

I think (I am still not sure), In my case, I love travelling in Indian Himalayas for the fact that I meet alive people there ... people who have more to life than just get in debt and maintain a certain living standard .... In India I come across people who live in deplorable conditions (by western standards), and still they have the biggest smiles on their faces ... quite a contrast from most of us in the west who are whining all the time.
When it comes to natural beauty, I think I live in a very beautiful country of Canada ... but I don't really enjoy travelling here as much.

Ryan .... on account of being sensitive
i would say that maybe you are just trying to run away from your sensitivities ... the brave thing to do would be to face it and live with it. The sensitivity is always going to be there, you are just not facing it, and one day all those pent up emotions are going to flare up.
LOLS ... I am just messing with you mate ... just be happy with yourself ... lols

Good Luck with your travels Julia ... and in case you end up in Bhutan or India, I will be there somewhere in the Himalayas. I called a friend in Ladakh yesterday and he was telling me that Himalayas miss me as they do not see that crazy trekker :D

Just some rumblings on a monday morning guys ... not to be taken very seriously ... just my perspective.
good day to both of you
ciao
Old 06-05-2007, 01:42 AM
TE Junior Member

Hey Sarju,

I don’t mind another crazy person joining in the conversation.
I too, have wondered why I travel. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just trying to escape my present situation as well. Certainly that could be part of it (work sucks), but I really just enjoy seeing and experiencing other parts of the world. I think we can all find places and cultures that we fall in love with. For you it’s the Himalayas, for me maybe its Africa, or Portugal. But home will always be were my heart is, which is right here in Utah. The place where I was born and raised.

Happy Monday.
Regards,
Ryan
Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 AM
TE Expert

ahem ... seems like we are making some strides here.
maybe the heart always remain in the place we are born .. in my case it is Himalayas .. the place where I was born and lived for 20 years .. the place where I still have most of my friends.
happy week !!!!
cheers from glooomy and rainy Ottawa
Sarju
Old 06-13-2007, 03:33 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Chris...

Ah, reasons to travel and where the heart lies... so many questions, eh? ;D

I used to travel to get my mind settled, now I travel because I see no other point in Life. Ok, was that perhaps a little too extreme?
Seriously, I have chosen a sort of a nomadic Life because I am passionately in Love with this Earth and I cannot think of spending my time sitting in only one corner of it. It is true that one corner will bring much if you spend enough time in it, perhaps even more than when one wanders around the whole place, but for me it is the whole that makes my Heart sing.

And as for where the Heart lies...
I could say that it is in my native country, but then again that isn't quite true. I do feel deeply attached and in Love with certain aspects of Finland but it is as much a foreign country to me as Luxembourg. However whenever I think of Iceland, a deep bubbling Joy springs from within... is this then where my Heart lies?

For me travelling is a way to pay homage to the infinite Beauty of this planet, as well as a way to comprehend where I landed when I was born onto Earth. I still sometimes (aka most of the time) feel like a complete alien when I observe my fellow humans, yet feel at home when I sit alone in the midst of quiet Nature.

Thank You to both of You for your comments and kindness!
Be well and ENJOY! ;D

Julia
Old 06-14-2007, 03:49 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Chris...

Ah yes... for the beauty of the Earth. I can't think of any better reason to travel. I just got back from 5 days in Yellowstone and the Tetons. That has got to be my second home because my heart can certainly be found there. If I could live there, I think I would.

Just for the recond, I’ve always thought of you as an Icelandic girl. I guess because of all the beautiful pictures you have from there. As for feeling more at home when sitting alone in the midst of quiet Nature. Yes, me too.