Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-01-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Re: The Critique Conspiracy

The idea of having to write critiques before you can post an image is an interesting proposition. The problem would be ensuring that the critiques were worthwhile. There have been comments in the past about people cutting and pasting the same critique to a number of pictures. Sounds a ridiculous thing to do but seemingly it happens.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Yes, indeed - the site seems to get flooded recently...
Old 09-01-2006, 07:04 PM
TE Junior Member

I think the whole issue of not enough critiques received is a slight egocentric problem. Are we on TE to get little ego boosts or are we trying to know the world and improve our photography? Personally, just by browsing the work by some of the excellent photographers here I get masses of inspiration and ideas. Also by reading critiques to other people's photos I learn more about photography. I'm not bothered by the fact that a lot of 'criticism' is in fact friendly praise. There's nothing particularly wrong about that.
Mario
Old 09-01-2006, 08:33 PM
TE Expert

I know all that, Luko, but nevertheless, HCB seemed to be very reluctant to talk about photography, and putting down . The C. Rose interview seemed like torture to him, I simply did not believe him when he said he enjoyed the talk.

Anarchist? It does not mean anything to me. Like Picasso being communist... I felt sorry hearing him throw such an antique label away. I mean it's all interesting, but I agree with Jinju, you definitely have to separate the older man from the young one who achieved so much, with a sensibility that was married to all the important currents of his time. Look at his drawings, fine he loved it as a craft, but posterity will not give a hoot about them, except that a famous name was behind them. For him to say that his drawings achievements equal his photographic definitely tell me I have to heavily qualify what comes out of his mouth.

In Rabughir Sigh's book, the indian photographer says he brought him his first book, all color photography. HCB just gave a brief look at it and passed it to his wife. No interest in color photography. I don't know, I think this is more th nehaviour of a mandarin than an anarhist. It's all perception on my part, maybe he was a wonderful human being, with a side to know to avoid, but if someone does that to my photos, I will definitely show him my anarchist side, and that won't be pretty, like....Kropotkinginexile! :-)))))
Old 09-01-2006, 08:35 PM
TE Expert

Default Singh

...not Sigh.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:46 PM
TE Expert

no one tries to find a solution here
---------------------------

I disagree, Henk, here, there has been copious ideas thrown around, but they come against 2 very strong "lobbies" on TE:

1) the "stop whining about it, we know it's about you wanting to have more points, not improving the site, so start taking great photos like we do, beacuse that's the only reason we have that much success" lobby.

2) the administration is not exactly taking part in this debate, or addressing the concerns of people.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:00 PM

"2) the administration is not exactly taking part in this debate, or addressing the concerns of people.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:09 PM
TE Expert

I do not wish for Adam to to feel insulted for bringing a financial element in that debate,, far from me, but having worked at his site for years, and probably making some kind of income from sponsors, the idea to bring too many limits in how people join or participate may sound negative to keep adequate sponsoring. It is possible that such choices may butt qualtiy against quantity at times.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:43 PM

I agree, it's tricky for fresh faces to find their feet here now due to the sheer rate of posting. There are two solutions, post good images, and/or write good critiques. Unfortunately that doesn't favour those here to learn, since they probably don't see the flaws in their work, and can't spot the flaws in the other people's.

This is where some more charity from the more established members wouldn't go astray... We have The Welcome Gallery and we also have the New Members Gallery - could we please help the new members by writing them some useful and insightful critiques? I know some of you already do, and that's excellent - I'm off to critique a few more myself now!

Perhaps it's also past time that we don't critique those who aren't contributing to the site - look at the number of critiques someone has written (by clicking on their star) before you critique their images, and if they aren't participating, move on. In the early days I'm prepared to give someone a bit of leeway, but if they've got ~5000 points, they really should have more than ~10 useful critiques IMO ;)

Actually this is an area where Adam could make a useful contribution - perhaps by exempting critiques to the New and Welcome pools from the 20 a day totals?

At the end of the day - a critique doesn't need points to be a valid critique, so the 20/day limit isn't really relevant to this discussion IMO.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:29 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Limit posts or...

Break the site into a set of smaller sites/groups.

Let those who really want to engage in "high quality" critiques form groups.

Let those who want to post/receive "nice picture" comments and collect points form groups or perhaps one large group as now exists.

There can still be a unified gallery. One could still virtually tour the world via the site photographs.