Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2016-05-26 9:51

Hello Les,

As soon as I saw your title I remembered that you had said that you'd been out near your home taking photographs of these lovely flowers but I see that this is a picture from ten years ago. But what a fine quality photograph it is considering that it is a scan of a colour slide!

Your composition is both excellent and most pleasing to the eye and the light is truly beautiful. I love how the spring foliage on the background trees is so brightly and freshly lit while the bluebells themselves lie in relative shade. The colours are magical and in no way oversaturated and the details and sharpness are exquisite.

A fabulous photograph, especially considering that it has been scanned from a ten year old colour slide.

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. I'm actually amazed at the quality of this scan. Perhaps that has something to do with Fuji Velvia but I also suspect your scanner and your scanning technique must be very good too. What sort of scanner do you use or was this done professionally?

P.P.S. On another technical topic, are you having problems with this TE website? I've been trying to write this critique for about three quarters of an hour - my text kept freezing then anything I did manage to type was totally corrupted. Whether this has something to do with Microsoft Edge and Windows 10 I'm not sure though I have to admit I don't have similar problems with any other website. In fact, I've just had to close down and restart my computer because the task manager was telling me my memory (all 16 GB of it!) was running flat out at 100%. I'm certain (as are many others) that this website causes many of these problems and it doesn't look like the technical people here are going to do anything about it. And that's a real shame because I'm also sure it's the reason so many good members and good photographers have already left - this place is not half so busy or interesting as it was a couple of years ago. Very sad. :(

P.P.P.S. I hope, Les, that your health is continuing to improve and you're managing to get out and about a little more. And I trust that Gladys is well too.

Kindest Regards,

John.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Talking To tyro: Nikon

Hello John,
many thanks for your kind critique,the scanner is a Nikon that I have borrowed from a friend,now that I have been diagnosed with Lupus I have to avoid direct sunlight, so it seemed a good idea to convert some of my slides when the sun shines
We have managed to get out and take a few shots locally,I`ll have to get around to posting some,although everything takes me longer to process than it used to,I put it down to age and the medication...
I hadn`t encountered too many difficulties with TE until recently when I installed BT protect,after it was removed and with the help of a BT technician every thing returned to normal.
I use Firefox as a browser,which I regularly update and it suits me very well,I guess that I`m used to it now.
Gladys is quite well thanks despite a recent hic cup with a bad back as well as the handicap of Parkinson`s.
Warmest regards Les.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:20 PM
TE Expert

Default Health and Scanning....

Hello Les,

Thank you for your kind reply.

Curiously enough, I was talking to a friend of yours and Gladys about three weeks ago and she told me about your diagnosis. Having been a surgeon until I retired five years ago, I'm aware of lupus as well, of course, as Parkinson's but, although I had patients with those conditions on occasions, I never dealt with the treatment of those conditions per se as we always requested physicians or neurologists or whatever to do that while we concentrated on any surgical conditions the patients might have had. So I can fully understand why bright sunny days are not the best for you and that, all be this an unwelcome handicap, you can at least concentrate on other aspects of this hobby indoors at those times. And I do hope that you are gradually recovering following your recent hospital admission.

Anyway, by now you will have guessed that the friend I met was Lisa (delpeoples). I think she might still be in Ireland just now with her husband visiting his family. But she arrived on our shores a week or so before Kevin: she landed in Dublin and spent a couple of days in the company of our friend Noel (noel_byrne) before heading to Scotland for a quick tour. She was very keen to visit the little village of Strontian on the Ardnamurchan peninsula because her mother's ancestors came originally from there before emigrating to Australia in the late 1830s as a result of the Highland Clearances. Her great great great grandfather had built a bridge in Strontian in the 1820s and I went up to meet Lisa and we visited the bridge together - a lovely day and a pleasure to meet such a lovely lady too! I have a picture of Lisa next to "her" bridge but I presume it's not the sort of picture one should post on TE. Facebook perhaps.

Incidentally, unless you already know, Strontian was where, in the lead mines during the 1830s, a new metallic element was identified - Strontium - so named after the little village. So there's a fact with which to amaze your friends or gain points in the local pub quiz.

Thank you for letting me know about your scanning techniques. Although I've never actually seen one (only pictures of them), I believe that the Nikon film scanner really was the canine ovoid things as far as scanners were concerned. But they were also enormously expensive, so well done for having been able to borrow one. In fact, I believe that Nikon no longer make them and the older ones (still very expensive secondhand) only work with older computer operating systems. I presume you do mean the dedicated scanner that attaches to a computer and not the Nikon slide copying attachment that fits on a camera?

My wife bought me a Jessops film scanner a few years ago in the days of Windows XP and it worked well though the colours were sometimes a bit "off" and the contrasts were always a bit too strong. But that no longer works with Windows 10 and compatible drivers for it aren't available.

But I did do a little bit of thinking recently. You can still buy cheap film scanners (from around £50 or so) but I can imagine that the quality of the lenses and the sensors in those things must be pretty poor. So, thought I, why even think about such a cheap device when I have an excellent digital camera with a superb sensor and a lovely macro lens which is pin-sharp. I tried copying two or three slides with a Heath-Robinson set up with the camera and lens, an old shoe box with some holes cut in it to keep out extraneous light, a piece of white paper as a diffuser and a cheap LED lamp from Lidl as a light source - and the results weren't too bad at all and certainly no worse than from my old scanner. I might try to knock up a more professional type of "jig" along these lines and might even think of posting a couple of the slides I've scanned on TE.

But I've "blethered" enough. You two take care and keep well.

Kindest Regards and thank you once again,

John.

Tags
nikon