Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great willperrett 2015-02-16 4:46

Hello Les

Lovely evening tones here, and a very pleasing balanced composition. Your burning in of the sky: I don't find it overdone, but I'm aware you've done it, because of the tell-tale hale along the top of the hill. I burn in my skies habitually. Do you mind therefore a little tutorial from an old photograph lecturer?

Select the sky using magic wand (multiple clicks holding down the Shift key). Tree branches etc. in the way? No problem: just go Select>Similar. If that includes unwanted areas, deselect them by whizzing round them with the lasso tool, holding down the Alt key. Then - here's the crucial bit - feather the selection by VERY little: typically only 1 pixel. Copy/past the selected sky. Then do your worst with Levels, Curves, colour tweaks, Contrast/Brightness or whatever takes your fancy. You may now find that the junction between the sky and the rest is a bit too obvious. If so, bearing in mind that your sky is on a separate layer, add a Layer Mask, and using either the Gradient tool (set to black > transparent) or the brush tool set to black or grey, work on the border between sky and land until you've got an "invisible" junction.

And I guess you know all that anyway! Hope you're not offended. I repeat: the sky is fine, but I reckon you could do with hiding the evidence of your editing!

Kind regards

Will

Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Talking To willperrett: Burning in

Hello Will,
thanks for your kind critique and tutorial,they are appreciated,I`m always open to any advice and just a bit too long in the tooth to be offended.
Thanks again,
Les.

Tags
burning