Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 02:48 PM
TE Newbie

Default Portrait Orientation

I have been reading some of the comments regarding the new TE website. Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned, and I haven't seen it but has anyone noticed that images with portrait orientation get more real estate in the galleries than those in landscape.

All photos are now displayed with the same width, however because the depth is longer than the width for portrait orientation, the latter photos occupy more space on screen.

My biggest compliant with the new website is that now that I have a 21inch monitor, there is an ENORMOUS amount of empty space on screen. This was not nearly as noticeable with the old layout.

I also dislke the notion that there is only a 15 minute window in which to edit or change comments/critiques. There are a variety of reasons why a comment should be changed after the event and the site is the poorer for not allowing changes to be made as required at any time.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Portrait Orientation

Yes, I fully agree that the difference between landscape and portrait format on the thumbnails is another real minus for this new site.

Benny
Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 PM
TE Junior Member

I expect we'll see a lot more portrait shots now, maybe even some vertical panos.

John
Old 05-27-2009, 04:49 PM
TE Expert

I too think this is very noticeable and not at all a positive thing. I would also expect that the vertical orientation will be seen more now that it gets special treatment.

Greg
Old 05-27-2009, 04:52 PM

Austin,

I agree with you about the amount of empty real estate as I have a widescreen monitor too. Presumably the site has to cater for all so that empty space is inevitable.
I don't agree with you about the need to change a comment after the event. Particularly if a critique/comment has started a discussion, the ability to change the content and therefore meaning of a comment can make follow up comments meaningless at best, and seem stupid at worst. There is nothing to prevent multiple input to a forum thread, and the time limit might actually encourage people to think through what they are saying more carefully.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:52 PM
TE Expert

For your info:
The locking of comments/critiques after 15 minutes has nothing to do with the new site. It was implemented on 31.10.2008 and was announced by the admins in the forum:
http://www.trekearth.com/read.php?f=4&t=683074&m=940750&tt=flat