Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 11-24-2006, 12:27 AM
TE Expert

Default Delhi : advice for a travel agency

Hi there,

I already have my flight tickets for a week around around Delhi at new year time.
I don't want to lose time on premises and would like to set everything up for the classic Delhi/Agra/Jaipur tour right now.

Has someone had a good experience with a recommandable travel agency or tour operator in Delhi which I could contact on the net to arrange my hotel booking, car, driver and so on before arrival. I know many people recommend Namaste India Tours but they're not taking anymore customers for the end of december period, so do you have any other recommandations.

Quickly, please!

thanks in advance
Luko
Old 11-24-2006, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Delhi : advice for a travel agency

congrats on your decision, Mother India is waiting for you. I don't know about tour operators, but instead of going to Jaipur I'd go to Varanasi. you can all do on your own easily, it would be just 3 train rides - short Delhi-Agra, then a bit longer Agra-Varanasi and overnight return Varanasi-Delhi, very easy. but I guess you don't want to waste time on booking train tickets and looking for hotels... I found Jaipur quite boring. and Varanasi rocks
Old 11-24-2006, 12:54 AM
TE Expert

Maciek,
the problem with trains is that you cannot stop them on the way when you want to shoot something or just take your time. So I'll have a driver who'll do exactly what I want and therefore do not expect to take a train this is why I need a travel agency or a TO that would provide me a driver and a car..

Varanasi is too far away for a 6 day trip, I'll have many occasions to come back in India,(I will go to Tamil Nadu in feb for instance).

Luko
Old 11-26-2006, 01:26 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Luko, I will also be in Northern India 27 Dec - 20 Jan. Most of which I am arranging on my own but for car bookings I have Travelite India, they will pick me up in Agra and take me to Bundi, 8 hours drive and I can stop where I want along the road, for intersting shots and food. I have used them in the past and were very helpful.

Address: 14 & 22, Godavari Chambers, Opp. Saraswat Bank, S.V. Road, Kandivli (west) Mumbai-400067 India-Tel: 022-28079270, 56959447 Fax: 91-22-28065818,
Email: indiatravelite@vsnl.net, travel@indiatravelite.com, indiatravelite@gmail.com

Hope this helps and maybe our paths will cross.

Elaine
Old 11-26-2006, 02:36 PM
TE Expert

Thank you very much Elaine!
I was getting desperate for a reply.
I was under the impression that lots of people go to to Delhi without any prior arrangements (which I'm still not convinced ;)...).
Anyway, thanks again, I will contact these folks.

Luko
Old 11-26-2006, 03:41 PM

Default try Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum

Luko, you should try at Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forun, Indian branch. I am sure people there will answer your questions
Old 11-26-2006, 04:10 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: try Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum

Maciek,

thanks for the advice, I know the LPTT from the dive branch where I used to be a regular contributor a few years ago... until I realized there are more geeks and trolls than travelers in that forum...

The problem with LPTT is that there are lots of wannabe or armchair travelers whose contribution is inversely proportional to their travel ability (ie. lots of fluff written, not so much stuff traveled), so you must first try to know who's writing to assess the advice value...to not to mention travel agents in disguise, fishing for clients.

At least, in TrekEarth, I can state what's the advise worth as I start to know some members. For instance, I know I can rely on Elaine's tips. :D ...

Luko
Old 11-26-2006, 04:16 PM
TE Senior Member

you are so right, Luko, either too many armchair travellers on the LPTT or peopel with stupid questions, (sorry, I am not trying to sound like a travel expert here, but) ---Ο am going to SE ASia for 3 months could someone tell me where to go? or I am going to India, could anyone suggest a good restaurant for curry?..........
Elaine
Old 11-26-2006, 05:07 PM
TE Senior Member

my favorite are the "Is (insert dangerous country here) safe to travel?"

Then, if you post a question wanting something like a travel agent, you will inevitably be called a posuer traveler... and everyone there feels like they are great travelers
Old 11-26-2006, 05:42 PM
TE Senior Member

The very best place to go for India travel advice is India Mike. This site helped me out immensely when I was planning my India trip. I don't know if my trip narrative will help you but it's here in case you want to read it. I went to the three places you mentioned.

When we went to Delhi, we had our lodging & train tickets booked in advance but didn't have any tours or drivers booked. We didn't end up hiring a regular driver except in Agra and that was by chance. Even if you do go for a car & driver, I still recommend trying the other modes of transportation on occasion -- cycle rickshaw, auto rickshaw, train. Great photos to be had everywhere.

That reminds me, I still haven't finished uploading my India pics...