Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 10-19-2006, 12:10 PM
TE Newbie

Default Suggestions for Switzerland? :)

Hallo!
I'm going to Switzerland in 10 days and I hope to see some beautiful places. I'll arrive and leave from Basel, and I'm staying 9 days.
Do you have any suggestion on where to go to take good photos?
I prefer natural places and rural areas rather than cities.
Thanks for any idea!!
Sabrina
Old 10-19-2006, 03:04 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Suggestions for Switzerland? :)

The lake Lιman (also called lake Geneva) should provide you with mind blowing sights :D There you'll get the best of all possible worlds (city, rural, lake, mountains, wines, rivers, waterfalls, everything)... but then again I think you could pick any place in Switzerland and you'd find only bliss :D (imho! :D)
Best of luck, enjoy and good shooting! :D
Julia
Old 10-19-2006, 06:17 PM
TE Junior Member

hi,

From Basel, for natural places/rural areas, there are many places which may not very far from Basel :
- in the central switzerland area, like luzern area, Mt. Titlis area ..
- Bernese oberland area, Jungfrau Region
- Alsace area (not exactly switzerland though :) )

you can check at myswitzerland.com.

cheers,
cessy
Old 10-20-2006, 01:28 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks to both of your for your replies :)
Actually I was looking for more specific advice. I have read a good guidebook of Switzerland, so I already knew more or less that Lac Leman, Bernese Oberland etc are nice areas. What I would love to hear is some specific spot, hiking trail, viewpoint and so on, from where one could take a wonderful photo.
Sabrina
Old 10-20-2006, 04:10 PM
TE Junior Member

What I would love to hear is some specific spot, hiking trail, viewpoint and so on, from where one could take a wonderful photo.
Interesting...

If I may allow myself to reply to you honestly, I hope you will not be offended.
Travelling is, hopefully, not about taking the paths many others have before just to catch a glimpse of something considered beautiful. Travelling, beyond merely being in another place than our home, is about being open to the world and discovering each step that we take into a new direction, opening ourselves up to a world of possibilities, letting the nature guide our sense and our sight to the places that will take us further and deeper in our lives. Travelling is not just standing behind the camera looking at the world through yet another box, but opening our hearts and senses to each thing, sight, sound, taste and whatever that may come our way. If you are really just looking for a nice viewpoint where you can get a lovely shot from, I recommend you travel this time without a camera.
I know you have posted this in a photo oriented forum so I guess you are only right in asking for specific spots, but would you still rather take a shot from a place where many others have stood before and simply snap it into yet another box or would you rather embark yourself on a journey that will take you to unexpected places and show you beauty beyond your imagination (that you might then want to consider framing onto a piece of some device)?

Of course there are specific parts and points where one can stand and take a standardly magnificent photo, especially in CH, but is that really what you are after?
If you want advice on some specific location, I could give you plenty, but then I should also tell you at exactly what time and in what mood that place works best. Also weather forecast would help, as many other factors.

I hope you do not take this personally.
I just find it quite amazing that so many amongst us are just keen on finding sights to snap in and forget all about the experience of living. It is as if we have transferred the excitement of living into living through a tiny box, a tiny hole.
How then, is it possible to take a good picture?
A shot is so much more than just a wonderful looking landscape. It is a whole lifetime summed up in the way one approaches a specific place. And this is what makes TE interesting, as far beyond the standard shots of beautiful places, the pages are filled with people's attempts at presenting the world according to either what they think is the way one should present the world (which then turn out to be quite cold or detached pictures) or then according to their own way of perceiving and carrying themselves through this beautiful planet...

Ah, I stop my rambles, and wish you all the best for your travel.
May you enjoy and forget your camera at home ;D
All the best,
Julia
Old 10-20-2006, 04:49 PM
TE Newbie

Hey Julia, I guess you overshot a little bit.. ;)

I'm not offended but I think you cannot judge my way of travelling from one sentence I wrote here... :)

Of course the first time I go to a new place I want to see some specific things I think I may like, and asking some advice on where these things are is normal for me. For example, if I am an art lover, I ask "can you recommend me some beautiful museums or architecturally nice places?"
Maybe I was too short in my question, the sure thing is that I don't look for a wonderful place SO THAT I can take photos.
I look for wonderful places (that for that reason could become wonderful photo subjects) because I want to see nature, relaxing and inspiring places. And then of course I'll take my camera with me because when I see something beautiful, when I feel that something excites me, I want to pass that feeling on an image to give it to others, and to remember it when I'm back home.

Or maybe you are saying that I should just go and decide by myself where to walk and find wonderful spots by myself. Well, if I had one month in CH I'd definitely try that. But I don't have much time, it's autumn and the weather will not be perfect, the day light will be short and I don't want to come back home disappointed. I NEED to see some grand scenery (I feel the need for it, I need natural wonders in my city life!!! :) ) so I asked where I can see some, and I can go straight there to fulfill my need instead of wandering around for a couple of days before finding some. I only HAVE a couple of days for that!!! :P

Also, I think in a photo-related forum it's just normal to think about photos, and I guess many of you when traveling try to take good photos. That means staying in a particular place for one or 2 days until the light is right or the weather gets better, just because you want to take THAT special photo. Do you judge this "wrong"? I'd love to become a GOOD photographer and my only time to take photos is when I travel, so why should I leave my camera home? I can BOTH enjoy my trip as you said AND try to take nice photos...
Old 10-20-2006, 04:57 PM
TE Newbie

Sorry, I just wanted to add something. You said:

"Travelling is, hopefully, not about taking the paths many others have before just to catch a glimpse of something considered beautiful."

Well, I don't agree completely. I think I want to see what people before me considered beautiful, because there's a big chance that I too like it. THEN, I also love to discover new things. But for those, I don't need to ask for advice, don't you think? :)