Any reason not a too many ppl use Nikon DSLR? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-13-2005, 06:58 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Any reason not a too many ppl use Nikon DSLR?

I am curious why not many here use a Nikon DSLR. The majority of people I see here uses Canon D20, D10, 300D. I just all my stuff stolen so I am starting over and the Nikon D70 looks real nice. What do you guys think? Is there something about Nikon that I am missing??
Old 04-13-2005, 07:06 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Any reason not a too many ppl use Nikon DSLR?

Yes, sure. Canon is a terrific brand. They also make pocket calculators! Nikon is for losers. You should sell your D70, which LOOKS real nice, but IS real bad. Good luck with your new 20D.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:12 PM
TE Expert

Hi Mark!!!

I guess there is no specific reason why NIKON is less used than Canon

I guess mainly it is the price of the NIKON gears.
I believe that Canon has done a strategic move launching the 300D and now the 350D. With less money you can have a DSLR. And this is just TOO atractive to many people. Something that NIKON should consider seriously.

K.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:23 PM
TE Senior Member

They have considered the price, and the D50 should hit the stores within two weeks. Quite honestly in my opinion, the D70 is a superior camera to anything Canon offers less than the 1 series, although the 20D is now pushing it. The problem with Nikon is that their lenses do tend to be a little pricier, and also at the top end, Canon outdistances them by a fair margin (think D2X vs. 1DSmk2, or D2H vs. 1Dmk2).

Canon has the financial backing to always be the price leader as well as to ensure everyone knows the brand name. I can't see Nikon being able to match this anytime soon.

I think the D70 is a great choice personally, even though I don't use one.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:39 PM
TE Expert

Ok. These guys are really not funny. My first answer was obviously intended to say how much your question is a nonsense to me.

If you browse through all the photography forums, you'll always come through gear nerds who find a good reason to go Nikon, or Canon, or whatever. And the truth is evryone will find a good reason to go left as well as to go right.

Your camera is a terrific one, and every serious critiquer has said so. Nikon has a terrific lens system, and even if it wasn't the case there are enough of third party choices like Sigma or Tamron, who produce very high standard equipement for digital cameras.

There is simply no point in comparing Nikon with Canon. It is ridiculous. Just my humble opinion. Focus on learning about photography.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:41 PM
TE Expert

I really cannot answer that, but from my old office where I retired 2 years ago 5 people uses D70 and one has D100.

This information I got from Jaques Verees, photographer/contributor at dpreview.com. He told me by email that if you really compare prices the lenses of Canon is more expensive than Nikon.

Canon changes models so fast like American cars while Nikon is more conservative sometimes too conservative when it comes to changing models. My reason for buying a D100 instead of buying a Canon 10D is because it is too big and heavy while Nikon D100 feels better in my small hands. No other reason. I bought my Nikon D100 a year and a half ago when it has been in the market for almost two years. To this date it has not been replaced by Nikon and the sensor compared to D70 is outdated.

Nikon D70 has outsold its counterpart the Canon 10D. To this date Canon has changed that model while Nikon has not changed the D70.

My advise is to hold out for awhile till the end of the month for the release of Nikon D70s and Nikon D50 (no replcement for D100 yet). These two Nikons will compete with Canon Rebel XT and Canon 20D. My brother in-law uses Canon 10D and I have used it too. Nikon and Canon are both very good cameras it just depends on the lenses that you already have.

Andre'
Old 04-13-2005, 07:52 PM
TE Junior Member

Go to the shop and pick up an EOS-350D and a Nikon D70 and guage the handling-- you'll take a few minutes to get used to the Nikon since all the controls are reversed compared to the Canon (or, as I like to think, the controls rotate in the right direction compared to Canon!) See how you like it in your hands and how it performs-- find the equivilent lenses you used to have and mount them-- see if you like their handling too. Image quality wise it's pound for pound. I seriously challenge anyone to tell me which system shot what without the details posted below (there are subtle hints but these aren't parameters people talk about nor are they reliable).

Basically, if you take the blue pill... if you take the red pil...
Old 04-13-2005, 08:18 PM
TE Senior Member

You don't have any reason to say that Darren..
I still think nothing compare to a Canon...
Eos 20D against D70.. just reading the test one would choose the Canon..
I woulds even take the D60 against the D70...
Old 04-13-2005, 08:21 PM
TE Senior Member

But at the end You can buy whatever camera you want..
The camera will not make the picture..
You could have an EOS MarkII and not be able to shoot decently.
Some nice pictures are taken with real inexenpsive cameras..
Buy whatever you want..
Still 8.8 millions pixels.. or why not 16 millions... Why not..
Old 04-13-2005, 08:27 PM

all your stuff stolen?? where? how?

I'd go for new Canon 350D, nice little camera. I have a problem with dust with my 20D - even when I don't change lenses for a long time dust comes from somewhere - with old 300D no problem at all. 350D and some cheap L glass - best deal.
I'd go for canon just because few lenses, which are good and not very expensive 17-40 f/4L, 70-200 f/4L and 50 f/1.8. and I like colors and very low noise level from canon sensors