Hardware calibration - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-30-2005, 11:16 AM
TE Newbie

Default Hardware calibration

Even when using a colourp-rofile for ones monitor, the colours (as well as brightness) may change over time.
I have three monitors here, used the colour calibration that comes with Photoshop Elements on all of them and still my pictures look quite diffrent depending on the system I view them on.
Even worse - already when scanning the original slides, I have to rely on the colours my monitor shows me.

Now, I heard that instruments for hardware calibration are available at a price that may be in the reach of amateurs.
Did anyone here already try this out? With what results?
Of course, calibration also is an issue for scanners, printers and digital cameras, but I guess the monitor should be the starting point...
Old 01-30-2005, 05:57 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Hardware calibration

I use the ColorPlus by Color Vision (Pantone). Does a good job, is easy to use and can be purchased for just a little more than $100usd. I agree that the monitor is the place to start, especially if you are like me, and send your photos out for printing. Good labs should be able to provide you with an *.icc profile, so you can get a very close match. I would consider it a reasonably priced investment that gives good results.

If you spend more, you can also get a device which can profile both your monitor and your printer, although many profiles for different printers and papers are readily available on the net (both for free and at a charge).

Thien knows color management quite well, hopefully he will notice this thread.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:05 PM
TE Expert

I agree with Darren Melrose. I have the same "Spyder" by Pantone Colorvision and it made a difference in my printing. I paid US$139. including tax.

Andre'
Old 01-31-2005, 01:32 AM
TE Newbie

In my opinion two very good books on this subject :

" Gestion de la couleur - Calibrage et profils ICC " - 194 p - Gιrard Niemetzky - 2° ιdition © 2004, Eyrolles, Paris. Devenu incontournable.
Ce livre trθs clair explique simplement la gestion des couleurs.

" Gestion des couleurs " - 510 p - Bruce Fraser, Chris Murphy - © 2003. Peachpit Press. Une vraie bible remarquablement ιcrite.

un lien fort intιressant :
http://www.arnaudfrichphoto.com/calibrage_ecran.htm
Old 01-31-2005, 03:10 AM
TE Junior Member

Thank you for passing the puck, Darren :D.

One thing with software calibration like Adobe Gamma is the eyeballing is notorious for inacuracy. It is well known that our eyes are more sensitive to blue therefore most pleasing to us will be a blueish tone (a la Sony Trinitron). However, pleasing does not mean accurate but the human color perception change easily with anything from our state of mind to our health. A hardware calibration device allows to have a common baseline on what is a red, blue and green actually means. From that point on you are welcome to project your own view and mood on your pictures :D.

The ColorVision (Pantone) ColorPlus spyder is a good device with decent calibration program. Coupled with a good monitor, it can get you about 95% accuracy. It will take most of the guessing and doubt about the color out of your mind. The top end software package of the ColorVision (Spyder2PRO) allows one to have the highly regarded Pre-Calibrate step. This PreCal allows you to level the individual color guns (R, G, B if your monitor support it) seperately before the calibration step. This prevent color shifts while you are adjusting the brightness and contrast.

However not all is well in this wonderful world either. One of the drawbacks that you will encounter is that a proper calibrated monitor is usually a bit more saturated than the sRGB space. This sometimes tricked you as you have the perfect look in PS but when you use some other program that does not use your monitor profile to view your picture, it is all messed up. The most problematic is the printing, if you do not have an icc specifically made for your printer and the paper, you are flying blind again. Fortunately, most printers (minilab or default inkjet drivers) are optimized for sRGB space. So what you have to do is to view your picture in sRGB space, re-adjust your saturation level and submit for printing.