ICC profiles - Working spaces - Gamut - RGB.. - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-28-2005, 01:23 PM
TE Junior Member

Default ICC profiles - Working spaces - Gamut - RGB..

What a headhache ! I read a great article here below :

http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/prophoto-rgb.shtml

I guess it's something important when you want to know what will be the Final result of the Print of what I process. I stupidly thought that today, "What you See is what you Get" but it looks far from reality.

May I know what is your workflow and setup when you want to print on argentic paper in a Lab ? What color space do you use to shoot, to process, to save and display pictures ?

Thanks,

Steven
Old 05-29-2005, 01:25 AM
TE Junior Member

Default No-holds bar colorspace

To obtain the maximum control of your color you have to follow these steps:

1- Shoot RAW: This allows you retain the "negative" and control the color development.

2- Use Camera Input Colorspace: Choose a RAW development software that allows you to have a camera input color profile.

3- Use Wide Gamut or ProPhotoRGB: Convert your RAW into either these two colorspace and edit the filed in 16 bits mode whenever possible.

4- Display: Convert a copy to sRGB for monitor display. The color may changes slightly so you can tweak it if the software that you can softproof using the output (display) profile.

5- Prints: Obtain the color profile of the combo printer-paper, convert a copy to this space. The color may changes slightly so you can tweak it if the software that you can softproof using the output (printer-paper) profile. Give it to the lab and tell them to print it AS-IT-IS.

Note: all of this presume that you have a pretty good monitor that has been properly hardware calibrated.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:30 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: No-holds bar colorspace

If your lab uses a Fuji Frontier then sRGB is quite close to their printer default space. You will loose a bit of deep blue, red but most color will come through nicely abeit a bit compressed.