Best Tripod ? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-16-2005, 04:57 PM
TE Newbie

Default Best Tripod ?

i'm going to buy a new tripod so what brand you think is the best?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Best Tripod ?

Most high-end tripods are either Gitzo or Manfrotto. Velbon makes some good mid-range ones but most of them are not available in North America.

In carbon fiber categories, Gitzo are smaller and lighter than the Manfrotto but the Manfrottos can take higher load.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:08 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Farshid,
i live in the "land of Manfrotto" (the firm is 1/2 hour with a car from Treviso) and all the opinions here are hightly positive about it. For me is really robust and accurate... but not the lighter out here!
ciao, Giorgio
Old 04-19-2005, 03:50 PM

Depends slightly on your requirements, but I'd say probably Gitzo for the legs. Heads are another story though - and they're very much dependant on your equipment and your shooting style.

I'm currently using a Gitzo G1228 with a Manfrotto 486 RC2 ball head. About the only thing I'd change now is I'd probably like the option to rotate the base of the ball head, and the head also seems a bit stiff - but then I've only had that for a week, so I'm sure it'll loosen up a bit soon ;)

If you're interested in wildlife and/or shoot a lot with long telephoto lenses, then have a look at the Wimberley heads.

If you shoot macro a lot then consider a focus rail of some sort...

Basically the best setup for you is determined by what you shoot, and also how much you can actually lift ;)
Old 04-20-2005, 04:09 PM
TE Expert

I'd recommend a sturdy Manfrotto for whacking stray dogs away, as for photo I can't say...

One of the very seldom times I've used a tripod, after I chased the dogs away, time to set up everyone living around had kiss me goodbye... now it gathers some dust on the top of a shelf, waiting for the next time I'll buy a lens and eventually will want to check my EOS20D retrofocus on a rainy day.

When it comes to tripods my recommendations are :
- make sure you really NEED a tripod in what you want to do,
- if so, go for the lighter : this is a terrible pain in the ass to carry it for hours long. I have even happened to praise myself for not carrying a tripod when I met some people photographying outside Angkor with a tripod : not only it was damn hot that day and they didn't need it, but they also lost so much time they were screwing up all the good photos that needed to include people with a certain angle, etc. Tripod is sometimes like zoom lenses, it makes you forget you have legs and that you should use them.
- check you NEED that tripod before going to the shop,
- check again you NEED it when it's time to shell out your credit card at the shop.

Cheers
Luko (guaranteed tripod-free)
Old 04-22-2005, 12:34 PM
TE Expert

I don't use a tripod, it's a pain in the butt, and very heavy. (Well, once used it, when I especially went out ot take nightshots), but has anyone of you ever used or seen this one?
One of my colleagues uses it and is happy with it, but I have still not made it myself. It's just a small thing in your camera bag, and will prevent some vertical motion when shooting at a slow shutterspeed.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:02 PM
TE Senior Member

Unlike Luko, I am a believer in tripods, although I do believe they should be used in balance. Relying on them too often can take the spontaneity out of your shooting, but never using them will restrict what you can shoot. A big plus with a tripod is that I (and most people I believe) tend to make fewer compositional errors when shooting a tripod. I notice the light post growing out of someone's head, or the piece of garbage left in an otherwise tranquil shot. Of course, they will make your shots sharper, that goes without saying.

My best advice about what actual tripod to purchase first lies in getting a head and legs that are easily and accurately adjusted. A set up that is difficult to adjust, or is liable to droop under a load is worse than useless in my opinion. Whether you go with a ball head, or pan and tilt is not so important, just as long as you are comfortable with it. If you do a lot of walking, get something quite light (while remaining sturdy enough). Consider one where you would have to kneel down to look into your viewfinder if you want to save weight, or if you want taller, consider CF and know that it will be heavier to lug around.

Personally, I have a Feisol CF tripod and a Manfrotto 486RC2 head, which is what I would consider good quality midrange. I wish it was lighter, but I was just too tired of stooping over to shoot. It suits my needs well enough and doesn't break the bank, although the combination is worth close about $300-$350us, so it is not a throwaway either. Quite honestly, if you buy a cheap 'pod, you will either never use a tripod again, thinking all are terrible, or you will rebuy again very soon.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:55 PM
TE Junior Member

Default string tripod

I'm skeptical about that string tripod. If your subject is not *very* close to the camera, it's not translation (i.e. up and down movement) of the camera you need to worry about, but rotation. Think how much the picture changes if you move the camera up by 1cm compared to tilting it back 1cm. A single string doesn't help at all against rotation. It could be possible to make a string brace that would help, but it would need at least three strings, and importantly, three attachment points on the camera/lens - as far apart as possible.