Canon 20D and Dust - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-13-2005, 10:39 PM
TE Expert

Default Canon 20D and Dust

Maciek made reference to problems with dust getting into the body of his Canon 20D in a recent discussion. This is probably the camera that makes most sense for me if I decide to upgrade from my 300D. I wonder whether other users of this camera can comment on this or other problems they've had with this Canon product. Reviews don't generally examine real world problems encountered over time with products.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:00 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Canon 20D and Dust

hi Curtis,

I've been using my EOS20D for 4 months now and never encountered a dust problem since, in fact I would LIKE to experience dust problem... the feeling I wouldn't be a virgin on digital dust anymore, just curiosity, y'know...I'd go and talk with the boys and say "hey, I got my dust problem too".
Maciek has got dust problems on his EOS20D, Ha...I'm sure he used it more than I did, since we know that Maciek is trigger happy, but Maciek is also the guy who gets his 300D stolen in a train, another 300D stiff dead after a month use... Do not buy the same luggage brand as Maciek's : they get lost at the time you leave them at any airline CheckIn counter...

In fact I think the problem is not the EOS20D but Maciek. Maciek is a black cat, see.... I would never travel on a plane or boat where I know Maciek is seating, if ever I know that Maciek is coming in Paris, I'd take two weeks holidays and fly far away, Maciek please stay away.

My best advise in do not upgrade to a Maciek20D, buy anything else, for instance a EOS20D ;D...

Seriously Curtis, as I wrote I didn't have any dust problem on my EOS20D since the beginning. However I think I would wait for a while before upgrading to anything. The EOS20D was a step forward in terms of digital sensor and software, it's a really good camera which makes it hard to change to anything else.
I lent mine a week ago to a friend, she's now crying because she can't shell out the money to buy it, although she tried the 350D, she told me she was very disappointed with : it didn't have the solid feel, she doesn't want anything lower built than the 20D nor without a rear wheel.

Tho, I wouldn't advise buying this camera if I already had something that could last for say 1 to 2 years. Lenses are evolving very fast and some tests have been disappointing with the 8Mpix sensors, I believe we're still in the period where the contenders try to get a definitive advantage over each other so they will be likely to launch a few surprises in the next coming year... and why not a large 1,3 factor sensor on an expert range camera, the one that will replace the 20D... that's the one I would be waiting for.

cheers
Luko
Old 04-14-2005, 01:28 AM
TE Expert

It is easy to lust after the 1DMkII and I certainly look longingly on Fred Miranda when one comes around for sale. They've been going for around $3200-3300 for fine condition. I have no interest in fooling myself I'm enough of a photographer to justify a camera like that at this point. Perhaps I'll feel different later.

I did a bit of checking online about the 20D and dust. A comment I saw at a couple of sites suggested that the camera should be turned OFF when lenses are changed to reduce dust collection. The suggestion, which sounds sensible but may be myth, is that the sensor, when the camera is on, attracts dust particles.

I'm not in a rush, though an excellent used copy is being advertised locally at a price that is attractive. I sent an email but the person wants to sell the camera with three lenses, including two "L" lenses I already own. I guess I'll bide my time until something comes along that I can't pass up.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:39 AM
TE Junior Member

Hey Curtis,

I must say that I did have the dust problem with the 20D, so I am part of that elite group, sorry Luko... I have had to clean it at least 3 times already. It's not a complicated job using the "clean sensor" fonction and a little air pump. It take not even a minute. But it is a problem that I did come across. I discussed it at the store where I got it, and they told me that this happens when you change lenses outside. I have no idea if that's true, but I do change lenses outside a lot.

But that's the only problem I came across with my camera. I bought it during the holidays and have taken more then 4000 shots. All of them superb... Just kidding, but I am seriously very happy with the purchase. I am very far from what I consider a good photographer, but I find that I have a great tool now and I am growing well with it.

Sorry for the less then perfect english...

P.S.:
Hey Luko, just wanted to say that I really like how you write. You are funny and witty (not certain how to write that word). If you ever start writting, let me know I would by your book in a minute, or however long it would take me to order it on Amazon...

Hope this is helpfull Curtis,

Yours,

Paul
Old 04-15-2005, 07:36 AM
TE Junior Member

I found in another forum discussing the same : the 20D + dust, actually I am having the same problem with 350D. I just recently upgrade from 300D, within 3 weeks, already cleaning 3 times. :(( :((

I have hardly had dust problem with 300D before.

I think it's due to the lens 17-85mm I use, it has rubber ring that attach the dust and so it easyly coming to inside every time I change the lens.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:41 AM
TE Senior Member

fast comment
i use this camera for 4 month
i am thinking to sell it, i realy
feel not confortable with this camera.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:43 PM
TE Senior Member

Although not a Canon, I have had tons of dust in my Pentax. I am sure I am mostly to blame, as I change lenses often and pretty much anywhere. To make matters worse, I most often forget to power down before doing so. This being said, cleaning the sensor is a two minute task using this method.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:43 PM
TE Junior Member

One thing we have to take into consideration is that as the sensor resolution gets higher the more noise you will see. This is because you will notice the dust now that they are relatively larger on your screen at full magnification. I never seen dust on my D30, a bit more on 10D, a lot more with 1DmkII and on the pictures taken with the 1Ds mkII, nothing but a pristine sensor would do.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:47 PM
TE Junior Member

I've had my EOS 20D now for about 3 months. I've taken over 3,000 photos, changed lenses outdoors ... you name it. I always power it off before changing lenses, and have never had any dust issues.

Overall, I think it's the best buy I've ever made.