Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2019-05-11 7:00

Hello Gyφrgy,
If you hadn't mentioned the tourists on top of the hill I would have thought those were two very strange large birds with long beaks. I think they are both taking photos? The waterfall is not very dramatic but worth the hike. Why should you try to avoid people in pictures from a place like this? If some of them have taken the trouble of dressing in red or pink they deserve being in a photo, and there's nothing wrong with middle-aged (not old) women taking a break.
I should add that all three photos are nice and enjoyable.
Best wishes,
Gert

Old 05-11-2019, 03:35 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: re

Dear Gert,

I didn't say that there is a problem with others having a pick-nick. My only problem is that even if it is not as apparent as in the case of a photo taken in Zakopane, mass-tourism is present here. When I was a child and made these hikes with my parents there were fewer people. The phenomenon is more common in places, where the newly built, high capacity cable cars and funiculars made these places available for everybody. Even for those who otherwise would go the local grocery by car* in the every-days . Guess I'm only getting older and started to dislike changes. :-P

Gy.

*Generally these are not the old ladies, sometimes they are more fit than me: when they over-take me during a hiking in the Alps, is very humiliating.

Last edited by GyurMaster; 05-11-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:15 PM
TE Expert

You will be all right as long as you don't have to book a place on the hike weeks in advance. Maybe that will be necessary in a few years.
Mass tourism is one reason why I am getting a bit tired of travelling.
But I know one slightly elderly Polish lady who would easily overtake you on any hike, anywhere. .
Cheers,
Gert
Old 05-11-2019, 04:38 PM
TE Expert

Maybe that Polish lady does right that she drinks tea at the shelter houses and not beer.
Regarding booking tickets: at Tatra Lomnic if you want to visit the peak, its already better to book it in advance online, otherwise you won't get ticket for that day at 8:10, ten minutes after the cash desk opened....
Old 05-11-2019, 05:07 PM
TE Expert

So the dark future is already here. Quicker than I had expected.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:07 PM
TE Expert

Seems like.