Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
TE Junior Member

Default People's interest viewing picture on TE

Dear all,
I had a little bit time and just visit the pictures of my galery. I would like to share with you two observations. My most visited pictures are form Palau, Fiji, Ecuador, Toboago, Seychelles, Albania, Dominica, ... the highest rated are from Switzerland, France, Germany, Indochina and Southern Africa and here mainly pictures of landscapes with mountains or castles.

It seems to be that the visitors of TE are mainly interested in not well-known countries, but the members who are rating pictures have another focus.

What do you think about this?
Best wishes,
Achim
Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: People's interest viewing picture on TE

You have visited so many countries. WOW! I'm impressed. Such a long list. TE map almost yellow. That's great. I'm wandering when we will get the chance to see some pictures from Nauru in your AMAZING gallery. Looking forward to it.

Best
n.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:18 PM
TE Expert

Hi Achim
Is there any correlation between the length of time the images have been on the site? That would be a simple explanation. OR
How about this for a theory? - Many people, members and non-members, use the site to find out about places they are interested in, rather than looking at photographic merit, which is what members are looking for when they are wanting to do some critiquing. More 'common' places therefore won't get the views of people looking for information.
There is certainly a different dynamic on the site at the moment. I haven't checked the stats but there seems to be a lot less postings and critiques since 1.the new site design and/or 2.the furore there was when the 'wrong' TOS were instigated. A lot of longstanding members left and it seems they are being replaced very slowly.
Kath
Old 07-16-2009, 05:41 PM
TE Senior Member

Maybe most of us give critiques on photos of countries we know (more or less), countries we are able to visit ? Just a thought...
Old 07-16-2009, 05:48 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Kath,
I found no important correlation between the length of time the images have been on the site. Most of my pictures are currently viewed between 600 and 1500 times, starting in the first week with 200-400 visits and then increasing very slowly.

Some of picture from not so well-known countries have more then 4000 views (partly up to 10.000) independent how long they stay in the system

And yes, I feel a little bit sad that so many longstanding members which great pictures are leaving TE.
Achim
Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 AM
TE Junior Member

Google, the search engine that provides around 2/3 of visits to the Trek sites, primarily organize hits based on image titles.

To my astonishment I found one of my images as third most viewed in the Philippines! I really can’t find any reasonable explanation, as both subject and title is nothing out of the ordinary. By the way, #1 and #2 both have the word “naked” in the title hehehe…
Old 07-17-2009, 09:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello
This a difficult question. It seems that most seen pictures is not automatically correlated with rating. Why, I'm sorry but have no answer. i've noticed on some of mine pictures to have thousand(s) visit with no point at all. And some wityh much less visits and some more points.
personnaly it is disapointing : not because of the low rating but just because not even a comment to help understanding what's going wrong.
Best regards
JMarc
Old 07-18-2009, 04:36 AM
TE Senior Member

THE reason is Google. That's it. Period. No other explanation needed.
My most viewed photo is titled "Animal Sex", a photo from Indonesia with less than 10 points.

The "most Viewed photo" icon should be replaced by "Most Popular" (counting points and favs)

I hope this clarify the issue

cheers
Jorge