Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2019-07-18 10:46

Hello Gert,
These pictures look like images from a past life.
I am not 100% sure in which street your hotel was located.
I can understand Malgo’s guess (Poincarιaan/Boulevard Poincarι). But when you look at Street View, you see that the angle of the high building is different than on your picture and that tall building is without a doubt the Zuidertoren/Tour du Midi.
That’s why I am more convinced that your hotel was located in the Stalingradlaan/Rue Stalingrad.
You can take a look at Street View but both avenues have changed a lot in the meantime. They even have changed unrecognizable.
Also the Zuidertoren/Tour du Midi, built between 1961 and 1967, has been thoroughly renovated several times. However, because there’s only one tower of that height, I am sure it is that one.
There’s no other possibility in that area. You may perhaps remember that the construction work was in progress when you were there.
At least you were staying very close to the Station Brussel-Zuid/Gare de Bruxelles-Midi, the first of the three major Brussels stations, when you came from England.
Beautiful pictures of the Grand Place/Grote Markt that would fit well in the city archive.
Best regards, Paul

Old 07-18-2019, 06:04 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: stalingrad

Hello Paul,
Thank you so much for your comments. I was happy to learn about rue Stalingrad, because that name had stuck somewhere in the back of my mind for 53 years. I am sure that was the street. Looking at the Google map I see that the southwestern end of the street looks like in my photo. But I found in my diary (which I had actually written some time after the journey, based on very short notes) that I had got off the train at the Central station, because I had no idea about the city and thought the Central would be the best option. But I had to look for a room for about an hour before I found anything at all, and by then I was almost back at Gare Midi.
I searched in vain for the map I had on that journey. I remember well marking my hotel with a big X to make sure I would find my way back in the evening after having a few appointments with Belgian beers.
Best wishes,
Gert
Old 07-18-2019, 09:45 PM
TE Expert

Hi Gert,

Good to hear that you had pleasant company in the evening

I would also recommend everyone to use the Central Station.
Perhaps not the least expensive hotels can be found there but it's surely the nicest area.
However, if you want to take the express train from Brussels to Amsterdam or to Paris, you must use the Station Brussel-Zuid/Gare de Bruxelles-Midi.

Best wishes,
Paul
Old 07-20-2019, 06:18 AM
TE Expert

Hello Gert and Paul,

At least with Tour de Midi I was right. . I like such puzzles.
The name Rue Stalingrad reminded me something. Do you know that two days after Stalin death in 1953 they (communists) changed the name of the Polish town Katowice to Stalinogrσd? It lasted three years, till 1956.
And another thing. Unpleasant experience I had in Brussels. I booked a night in the hostel, I do not remember at the moment where it was. Anyway, when I came, they told me that the hostel was for the persons till 35 years old. Can you imagine? They told me that when I would come another time I wouldn't be accepted. When I asked why it is so, they told me that there are bunk beds. As if I couldn't sleep on the upper berth. Of course, I will never go there again.
have a nice weekend

Malgo