No protection on TE? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 09:15 AM
TE Expert

Default No protection on TE?

One week ago one of my friend sent me one link and there I found more than 100 pictures stolen from TE(Romanian gallery )
Check if there are also your pics
I wonder only why nobody asked for my permission to use my pics
Here are only the pics from Romania, but I am sure you all will found pics from your own gallery searching on this site
Old 06-06-2009, 09:22 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: No protection on TE?

Isabela have wright.
I see one of my images posted on TREKEARTH who are stolen by one TURKISH JOURNAL. I thinq are not singularry image stoled and much moore images from all around the world are stolen from that website. We are protected by COPYRIGHT ?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:04 AM
TE Newbie

I also found my pictures in this selection. I hope that it isn't a common practice for a publication of any kind! What is a normal procedure for this kind of stealing? What should we do?
Cristina
Old 06-06-2009, 10:07 AM
TE Expert

Hello Isabela,

I do not think there is any protection for our photos that we post on TE.
Who holds the copyright ? I think it is TE not the members, I picked this up, reading a few months ago somewhere, sorry I cannot remember now where.
A lot of TE members post some very good photos, people here take a lot of time and effort, some have very expensive equipment, I started to think some time back, similar
to your thoughts. Small travel agents can steal, with all the info. there intact, use on adverts etc.
I have always loved photos, and store many, simply to admire and look on sometimes,
for myself, of places I have been.
It is very wrong for a company to use, I would like to think we are protected, but have doubts that we are.
I would like to see one of my photos in a magazine, ( I should be so lucky) then to contact them as to where they got it from.
Regards
Robert
Old 06-06-2009, 10:15 AM
TE Expert

Not the first time when some of my pics were in magazines,but it is the first time when nobody asked the permission
Only to ask, I never thought to ask money for this
Every time when somebody asked for the permission I gave it for free .
See, all these pics were posted on TE in the last month, only from TE, because I didnt post my pics nowhere else,so it was easy to find from where the pics were taken ....
But how can an important magazine from Turkey to do this without any permission ?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:30 AM
TE Expert

Hello Isabela.
I think I would contact this magazine, saying this is my photo, what rights do you have to use,saying I can sue you for this, they probably know that you would not, as it then becomes expensive, they may offer you something ? maybe maybe, it could be a nice gesture on their part. Somehow I doubt they would. But worth a try. Turkey being Turkey.
Contact TreKearth, see what they have to say,asking about you protection and copyrights etc.
As said, I would love to see one of my photos in a magazine.
Self esteem I suppose.
Regards
Robert
Old 06-06-2009, 10:35 AM
TE Expert

We already sent our emails to TE team and to that magazine,
But no answers !!!!
I posted this thread in forum, maybe, maybe we will get any answer here....since the TE administrators never answering to my emails
Old 06-06-2009, 10:49 AM
TE Expert

I thought same, they keep quiet, say nothing, then they cannot have blame, as they said nothing in reply,typical company policy.
Thanks for bringing this to attention.
Maybe someone in TE with better knowledge on this subject can be of help.
I ll leave it at that for present.
Have a good weekend, hope nice sun weather there,cool in Scotland 12-14 C
How do you like the new format of TE ? The older system seemed more friendly.
Sofar I have not posted any photos. Kind regards

Robert
Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 AM
TE Expert

Hello Isabella
The difference with Flickr, it's impossible to pick or print a picture if you put a filter in the options, thank's to oochappan who gave me the way to use
We must give a suggestion to TE owners.
Cheers
Old 06-06-2009, 01:20 PM

One of the functions available on TE is the creation of workshops. To do that it is necessary to be able to create a copy of the image so any system which successfully prevented that would diminish the site. Theft of images is unfortunately a fact of life if you post on the internet - I'm not saying that it's OK, simply that it happens.
Even on sites that do have some form of protection, the simple act of taking a screenshot will often bypass it.
If you do find any image that has been stolen then contact the website or whoever is using it - if you can. I have discovered some of my images in use on Russian and Turkish sites. As I live in the UK there's not much I can do about it.