To Edwin: Thanks! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Edwin 2004-06-04 4:03

Great, great detail Curtis! Abstract at first, your picture gives the viewer a possibility to ponder over what it is we are looking at. I like the colour toning a lot, an overall green palette of colours sets a calm and non-distracting mood. Your DOF works well, and nice clear textures too. Good work!

Old 06-04-2004, 12:39 PM
TE Expert

Default To Edwin: Thanks!

I realized after I'd posted this image that I mistakenly registered it as have been taken by a Nikon 5700 I'm borrowing from a friend, but in fact I used my trusty Sony DSC 85S, a four megapixel camera with an optical viewfinder. I really prefer looking through glass rather than at an electronic viewfinder, but without a true SLR it becomes dicey knowing you're getting the image you expect to. I was very lucky that one of the two images I took that afternoon actually worked. Sometimes it is luck more than skill that yields an acceptable image. I'm still a novice at everything but seeing the world reasonably well. Getting the capture is definitely the challenging part for me. I note you shoot with a Canon EOS 300V, which I can't find listed on digital camera sites. Is that a European version of what we call the 300D, Digital Rebel? Is it digital at all, or an SLR? I really appreciate the quality of the images you produce.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:54 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Thanks! (Olympus IS-3000 and Canon EOS 300V)

The 300V is a SLR camera, actually a slightly improved version of the older Canon EOS 300 camera. You are right Curtis, the digital equivalent is indeed the Canon EOS 300D which I believe in the States is labeled as Digital Rebel.
I picked up photography again for about 5 years ago and started shooting with an Olympus IS-3000, a great bridge model camera. It has a build-in 180mm zoomlens and there lays also the biggest disadvantage, the battery driven zoom mechanism. First the zoom engine died, and after having that repaired the auto-focus engine broke and got stuck.
I am currently using this Canon EOS 300V body that suits me very well, and I am also rather pleased with the Sigma lenses. During manual focus operation of the 28-80mm Sigma lens it is pretty hard to get a good focus, the lens tends to easily get out of focus...