People can't take critics - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-30-2004, 04:15 PM
TE Expert

Default People can't take critics

Hi Everyone.

I've not been posting much critics (and even picture)lately as I've been quite busy lately.
Yesterday (thursday), I just wrote only one critic in which I was just being honest and was putting the finger on what I though was flaws in the picture and not giving any point. And today I just got an "unuseful" point for this critic. Few days before, I wrote another critic that though was objective even though I didn't give any point either and got an unuseful point for the critic.

I have the feeling that some people here can't take critics eventhough they're constructive. And I think that if one can't take critic one shouldn't be posting on TE.

As for myself, I think I'm gonna take a little vacation from TE.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:45 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: People can't take critics

Hi Romain. I can understand your feelings to a certain degree, it is too bad when you put in an effort and seemingly get slapped for that effort. This being said, there are a few things to remember.

First and foremost, it does not have to be the photographer who marked you down. Rather than holding personal grudges, I would suggest you assume it was someone unknown. Whether this is accurate or not is not important, I just think being angry at a general anybody as opposed to a specific someone is better for your soul.

Secondly, remember that even if you have a million points, they get you nothing. They are not good for trade, barter or anything else. I wish I could trade them in for new camera equipment, but no store I have found yet will accept them. In this way, nothing is really lost. Again, this is not to say I don't understand or agree with what you are feeling, I am just putting it into perspective hopefully.

A very important third, at least for me is that I believe you become a better photographer by writing detailed and constructive critiques. Actually, I believe in the past year and a half, my photographic skills have improved greatly because of this, moreso even than receiving good critiques. For me anyways, getting somewhat analytical and really trying to decide why something works or doesn't work helps me think the next time I am behind the lens in a similar situation. I think it is so very helpful to use someone else's photo, one where I don't have a vested interest, in deciding what works or doesn't work. I have said this before, I will say it again, the biggest thing I have ever done in improving myself as a photographer is to try to write thoughtful, honest and complete critiques. I know not everyone is like this, but it works for me.

By the way Romain, I do believe you are right, some people can't take critiques, it is human nature, but don't let other people's shortcomings affect you negatively.

The vacation idea is not a bad one. If something is not giving you what you want, or if you feel a little tired and want to come back refreshed, no harm at all. However, I personally do hope you will come back. I like honest criticism and believe you offer that.

Anyways, hope you will have a great weekend and hope to see you at TE soon.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:52 PM
TE Junior Member

I remember critiqueing your first upload Romain, and ever since I ran into your comments occasionally. They tend to be straight to the point, honest, with no underlying sign what-soever of "I will scratch your back and I expect you to scratch mine" behaviour.
And yes, you are absolutely right regarding that _some_ people can't take critics, or to put it in other words, they do have difficulties seeing the value of a constructive and or objective critic they received.

Allow me then to reflect your feelings also in another perspective. To put it simple, that _others_ have a problem opening themselves to learn something from the comments and critics they receive (for instance; your comments) that is _their_ problem, not _yours_.

I can only add to your feelings of frustration that perhaps you shouldn't let these "unuseful" points get to you. Perhaps trying to not take it too hard.

Best regards,
/Edwin
Old 04-30-2004, 04:59 PM
TE Expert

There's one thing I should have mention in my previous message, is that I don'y really care about points (If I was, I would have posted hundreds of pictures and wrote thousands of critics). I'm much more interested by people reaction to what I post and what I write.
Also I don't mind people not agreeing with what I said but I think it will be less coward to use the reply button next to the critic than anonimously hit the "Unuseful" button (I actualy find this function redundant with the reply button). It's all about dialog.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:01 PM
TE Junior Member

>Secondly, remember that even if you have a million points, they
>get you nothing. They are not good for trade, barter or anything
>else.

Darren exactly found the right words here, these points mean relatively nothing in the real world.
Perhaps another way of looking at your points is that currently you have 192 useful critiques vs. 6 unuseful. Not that bad heh?
Old 04-30-2004, 05:05 PM
TE Expert

"I can only add to your feelings of frustration that perhaps you shouldn't let these "unuseful" points get to you. Perhaps trying to not take it too hard."

Hi Edwin,

Don't get me wrong, this is not the "unuseful" point that bother me, after all it's only 6 points over more 350 written critics. It's just the fact that people will use this anonymous function than try to establish a dialog. I can understand that people does not agree with everything written, but let's talk about it we might learn something.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:56 PM

Hi Romain!

Hi agree with you and everything said above. It's also painfull to me to receive those kind of ratings because I make a lot of effort to be abble to write critiques.

I even started several discussions about the usefulness of the not-useful button...

One way to be more protect against this ratings is to express not only what it's wrong with a photo, but also to say how it can be corrected.

Many people don't know anything about post-processing and the "wonders" it can make to a photo, so I guess they assume that when something is pointed out as wrong in a picture is the equivalent to say "that this photo is bad and it's lost"...
Old 04-30-2004, 06:57 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Some can, some can't...

Hopefully Adam will be able to get the 'Groups' feature implemented soon. When that feature appears we can self-sort ourselves into those who want to receive critical criticism and those who don't.

(And by "critical" I don't mean simply what's wrong, but also what's right with enough information to convey meaning. "Great picture"/"Lousy Picture" doesn't contain information that allows the photographer or readers to grow.)

I haven't been posting and critiquing for a while because I have a computer problem which is screwing up my downloaded image display. I suppose that if I had been receiving an adequate amount of helpful feedback on my posts I would have found time to fix the problem, but it says something to me that I haven't.

For those of you who have ever had the great fortune to experience a good graduate seminar, I'm looking forward to a 'group' of like-minded souls who want to give and receive good, helpful analysis of each others' work.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:39 AM
TE Junior Member

Default mmmm..... how do you know how many " useful" ....

and how many unuseful you get??
i΄m sorry to ask such a dumb question...
apart from that, i just wanted to tell you please not to worry about that,
and to tell darren that i am really impressed you took lots of time to write a great answer,
and i hope after all our reactions, you will reconsider and still participate here, I, for one, would be really honoured if you took the time to take a look at my photos and give me your critique... i don΄t have photoshop so you will have lots of improvements to suggest...
enjoy your weekend,
elena
Old 05-01-2004, 02:44 AM

Default Re: mmmm..... how do you know how many " useful" ....

Elena, it's not a dumb question! Just click on your star and a little popup should appear telling you how many useful/not-useful you have :-)