Are we ready for one upload per 2 days?? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-29-2004, 06:02 AM
TE Newbie

Default Are we ready for one upload per 2 days??

I know this subject has been brought up before but I find it increasingly overwhelming to keep up with the amazing number of photo uploads on TE.

It is of course a testimony of the huge success of Adam's wonderful site, proof that it ranks as one of , if not the best, sites for combining photographic interests along with a wonderful learning experience of life throughout this planet.

But recently I find myself skimming over the photos far too fast simply because so many come in between each time we log in.We once had more time to sit down and really appreciate the photos and offer constructive critiques or praise of good work done.

There are so many wonderful pictures that I have missed, as I am sure others have too. Of course they can be viewed at later dates but there is a natural tendency to keep your critiques to "recent" postings.And when you feel swamped by so many uploads,you may end up simply viewing rapidly rather than taking time with each photo.

Just this weekend alone, there were almost 500 uploads since Friday evening!

Would we really suffer if the allowed uploads were reduced to one every two days instead of one each day?? Personally I don't think so but I recognize that other members may be quite comfortable with the status quo.

In the end , however, the decision is Adam's.But we have all seen evidence of his willingness to listen to all suggestions and implement improvements where there is a consensus among fellow TE members.

Opinions ...suggestions anyone??
Old 03-29-2004, 06:22 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Are we ready for one upload per 2 days??

Sounds like a reasonable solution to me.

Mimi
Old 03-29-2004, 08:44 AM
TE Senior Member

The question is... why do you feel you must view every photo that comes in? Do you read *every* story in the newspaper?
I think it's unrealistic to use the site this way.

I'm happy with the status quo. I get alerts for people & countries I am particularly interested in. And view a
few pages of the gallery when I have time. I haven't attempted
to see every new photo in at least a year. I would like to have
some additional alert options, though. I am also looking
forward to the groups functionality that Adam has been
talked about to help with this issue.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:38 AM
TE Expert

I believe the consensus in the past when this was raised is that it should remain 1/day. To narrow it down, I suggest browsing by your favorite country/region/favorites etc.

Soon I will start a new photo-sharing site and then plan on tightening the TE tos a bit, which may lower the number of daily postings.

If anyone is interested in participating on the new site, please contact me and I'll provide the logon details. The new site will have a more open tos in terms of post-processing/family/pets etc.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:16 AM
TE Expert

Personally I might be iinterested in the new site. O would like to know the conditions of course. Is it understood that you should choose one of them or can you post on both sietes??
Old 03-29-2004, 10:45 AM
TE Expert

"Is it understood that you should choose one of them or can you post on both sietes??"

It will be possible to post on both sites, it's separate.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:25 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: The new site

If anyone is interested in participating on the new site, please contact me and I'll provide the logon details. The new site will have a more open tos in terms of post-processing/family/pets etc.

Adam, I believe that everybody here is interested to know details about this new site, all the more if tos are different. I hope you will let us know by an announcement.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:44 PM
TE Junior Member

I'm struggling with the same problems as Derek - and with the dictionary, for the critiques.
So a tightening of the TE tos seems for me to be a good idea.

Yes, there are features to reduce the number of pics one want to look. But this will exclude very probably the chance to see a lot of other good ones, and that is not in my favour, I think.

It would be easy to say: nice, cute, lovely, etc. But that's not the reason of the critique.
And for one that has hands and legs, I have to look to the photo, to examine it, need a bit time for letting work on me. Often happenes that I sit down, open TE, and realized 3-4-5 hours later how time has passed... And even so, the time is not enough for all the good ones they are posted a day. Not to speak about the others, "not-the-best" ones. The others, that would deserve a critique, a constructive one, to give ideas for and what to improve - IMO also an important part of TE.

One uploud per 2 days, or the tightening of the TE tos - I'll greet any improvment in this direction.

Yours
Jαnos
Old 03-29-2004, 02:03 PM
TE Junior Member

I would welcome such restriction of 1 upload/2 days as well.

In TE's history I think there has been a shift from the initial stage (getting attention, gaining members) to an ambitious growth that resulted in a rather unique environment. An interactive community that matches personal interests in photography, cultures and countries and in fact in TE's (and Adam's) own way it stands also for the documentation of a piece of our own history. Personaly I am curious about how people would think and react in for intance 2050 when they look back at the material that we all have gathered here at TE ;-)

Anyway, restricting the upload would logically influence the quantity
of the postings, but I am very confident that it wouldn't decrease the quantity or more important, the quality of the critiques. On the contrary, just as what I think Janos is trying to point out, it would probably increase the quality of the comments...

Just my 2 Swedish crownes ;)
Old 03-29-2004, 02:32 PM
TE Senior Member

This is strictly my estimation of things. I have no special background and claim no special knowledge, but I think it would be a mistake to limit uploads to less than one per day.

My thinking is that people are most active on the site either right before or right after they have uploaded a shot. Certainly I know I tend to do much more critiquing when I have something new up or ready to go up. If I don't have something, I simply don't spend as much time on trekearth.

Maybe I am different, but I am guessing most people are similar to me; more active participating in critiquing when they have something to post. I would suggest that if Adam is to further limit uploads, he may want to consider a method in which it is possible to earn the lost uploads back. Perhaps he could limit us to one per two days, but with the caveat that if you receive 10 usefuls on your critiques, you can earn the right to post another shot. Perhaps this could be limited to one so called bonus per day, but it would at least allow those who are participating to be active every single day.

My concern is, at least partly, if it goes the other way, we will have a substantial group of users who simply limit their participation here, not just uploading, but critiquing as well. I know I miss many good shots on trekearth, and I will simply have to live with that. I guess part of my worry is that of those people who only participate every other day, they might wander off on the non particpation days to a different site, where they can be active every day. Hope this makes some sense.

By the way, I am very, very much in favor of tightening the enforcement of the TOS. I see way too many shots which I feel don't belong. Unfortunately, I find the trend is growing, not shrinking. The difficulty also lies in how things are presented. Often, I will look at a shot and think, "WTF is that doing on TE?", but once I read the note, I find it to be perfectly applicable. I am hoping the new site will see such photos migrate over, as well as soothing the feelings of photographers whose shots are removed. Hopefully this new site can serve this purpose as well as getting TE back to where it belongs.