Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 AM
TE Expert

Default Notes et Wikipedia

Pour rdiger mes notes pour dcrire une image, j'vite de copier textuellement les infos Wikipdia.
Si je manque d'informations sur le lieu que j'ai visit je m'inspire de Wikipdia et d'autres recherches effectues sur Google.
Je fais un rsum en rdigeant mes notes avec mon propre style en ajoutant souvent la technicit de prise de vue.
En gnral mes notes sont assez courtes.
La seule difficult c'est la traduction en Anglais car les traducteurs ne sont pas efficaces 100%.

J'ai ouvert ce thread car j'ai constat que certains membres se sont fait sucrer leurs images pour cause de copies de notes intgrales
C'est fort triste pour eux, j'avoue que c'est trs dsagrable pour la personne dont l'image a t retire.
Amitis
Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 PM
TE Senior Member

Well Didi:

copy and paste of wikipedia and others search sites are notably disliked here in the T sites; I would say that is more appreciable the self comments of the photographer, but we must have in mind that the English is not the natural language for most trekers, and itś hard as you said to find really (not good, cause I think they are pretty good) but when you merely translate your troughs, something always is missing ! So, let's learn of it in wikipedia, it1s not so bad..

about the notes I like to think that:

In TL depending on the photo (of course) you must say something about the technical approach of it... some are so creative that you really has not to say to improve it!

In TE you must say something about the place, wherever you find it (in wikipedia, even there I think is better than nothing), I like to see also the latitude/longitude information

In TN you must write something about the object you are showing us, and then if you could about the technical approach again.. and local of find it...

Certainly I have an empty sensation with an empty note

I don't know for sure if this is what you are searching with this topic, ( I have to translate it into Brazilian Portuguese, then answer to you in English ) you certainly know what I mean
Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 PM
TE Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayon View Post
Well Didi:
Hi

I don't know for sure if this is what you are searching with this topic, ( I have to translate it into Brazilian Portuguese, then answer to you in English ) you certainly know what I mean
Hi Tayon
Just I want to say that I have seen some pictures who dissapeared because the notes was copied from Wiki or other sites.
In my last post I did have any idea about Limoges Railway station, I have read some documents and I wrote a short note without copying
Best regards
Old 03-12-2010, 02:16 PM

A straight copy & paste from another site is no more acceptable than copying somebody elses photo and posting it on the site as your own. The content of most sites will be covered by copyright to a greater or lesser extent.
To the best of my knowledge there is nothing to prevent a link to Wikepedia or any other site being included in the notes.
I'm not sure if including small sections of text from other sites, and identifying the source, is acceptable currently. For one of my images there were a number of possible explanations for the name of the place. I included 3 possibilities in the notes and added the source, in brackets, after each entry.

Last edited by Keitht; 03-12-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Banned

Default Plaisir... Pleasure...

TE est un monde trs compliqu... presqu'autant que le monde rel ! Mdr ...
Mais o donc est le plaisir de la photographie ?!...

TE is a very complicated world... nearly as much as the real world! Lol ...
But where therefore the pleasure of the photography is?!...
Old 03-12-2010, 05:12 PM
TE Expert

I am not against the links, it's a possibility to have more information about the subject. I have done this in the past
But copying a text is not my favorite
Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 PM
TE Expert

Arrow Text of notes

I also prefer to read the members' own words. If they just copy and paste, it's their problem and my displeasure.
I prefer to read the photographer's own feelings, rather that lots of copied information.
For example, about a shot of the Eiffel Tower a member may put just the Wikipedia words: "The Eiffel Tower is a 19th century iron lattice tower located on the Champ de Mars in Paris that (...)". That's information, but I can easily get it by Google or Wikipedia.
I prefer to read something like this:
"When I arrived to Champ de Mars I didn't see much people, but in a few minutes there was a crowd arround the 19th century iron lattice tower, which seemed older than in photographs".
Adding links, it's OK; it helps to easily get more info.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:08 PM

Francisco,

I think you have explained the purpose of notes very well. For me they are about personal feeling and the meaning of the image to the photographer, not simply a list of facts associated with the image.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 AM
TE Expert

Thumbs up purpose of notes

Technical details are also useful for many people. An example among many members that do it: jhm.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:12 PM
TE Expert

Cool info thots

Hi everybody

I've read your opinions concerning this rather "subtle" issue - Notes to the photos which we post.

IMHO, TE is a very unique site in this respect - a site where (as I think) a lot of attention is supposed to be paid to the Notes to photos, not only to photos as such.

I agree with Didi: I am not against links given in Notes, either. I often click on them and read the information if I am interested in it.

But I am often surprised to see very long extracts of copied and pasted information (sometimes very excessive) from Wikipedia on the subject which is shown in the photo
Wouldn't it be easier just to provide a link to this Wiki article?

But also, there is another very serious aspect of the problem (as a teacher who has read and corrected loads of students' compositions - both in English and Russian, - I know that it may be a real problem for many people!): it is the (in)ability to express our emotions and thoughts on the subject - on whatever.

Some people are not good at expressing their thoughts in the written form at all, even when they want to tell us something. It depends on many different factors, but in such a case it's pretty useless to expect a breath-taking personal story from them! maybe 3 -5 short sentences at most. (Here, I am talking only about those who really want to say something about their photos, not about those who use TE merely as another site to post another photo).

Concerning examples on how to write an interesting Note, I would name quite a few prominent TE members, if requested: there's something to learn from their Notes and from how they arrange their Notes

greetingz!