critiques - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-29-2004, 06:38 PM
TE Newbie

Default critiques

Come on guys... There are few of you who still remember what to do with the "Add Critique" button, but the rest (which are probably the ones who dont bother on the discussion boards as well) just post without giving feedback.
there are many good shots that I have seen in the first few pages which were given almost no attention. its cruel. especially for new photographers.
dont get lazy... come on. straighten your fingers and get to work... give others the feedback they are waiting for.
<What You Give Is What You Get - in a rightous world>
Old 02-29-2004, 09:37 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: critiques

Here, here! Encore! And also Amen!

I have a feeling that some people have enough just to keep up with their own postings and list of favorites they feel that they must comment on, that they do not even realize that these other new photos are posted. There are a great many that are not even getting many views, that I think are lovely.

I admit it, sometimes I don't take the time to comment myself, since I am very busy. But I will also admit that I purposefully don't take time to comment on someone's photo who has already recieved numerous critiques and comments, so that I can spend my limited time trying to help out someone with less or none. I am not a professional and have not studied, so often what I think may not be very artistic. It would really help if more people would use those options that Adam's given us, so that we are a community, and not a gaggle of cliques.

I hope that doesn't sound harsh. I really like this forum, and have learned a lot, from the pros and the not-so-pros. But with so many people involved, I think there are many different uses for this site being utilized (vanity being one) that are leaving new members out.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:40 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: critiques

Just adding to the rest that I think I never saw so few points out there, the number of pictures with no or very few points are just too big.

Ebbe
Old 03-01-2004, 04:53 PM

Default I agree!

Bonjour Niva,

I agree with you, and yes it's not a new question you are posting here. Too many are expecting, too little are giving, just human behaviour maybe? But I must say the pressure is strong when having to choose which thumbnails we must open out of so many postings...

Some statistics: Today I had some spare time, so I made 17 critiques/comments this afternoon and it took me more than 1 hour to check the thumbnails of the pictures of february 29th and today's pictures and pick up these 17 to comment them...
I counted the pictures posted on February 29th, yesterday: 220 !!! against 24 !!! on February 28th '03, last year...

I try to be as impartial as possible, so I've chosen for "Do not display points", and lately I've added the "Not display photographer name and points in thumbnail images" option. But one thing I keep doing, before I log in, is to click on my "yellow star" to see if my comments/critiques seem to be appreciated, and yes, regularly, a person add a "not useful" mention to my score. I have already collected 30 of them! :o)
I wish that person now going right to my homepage, click on the "Contact Me" button, and honestly tells me what is wrong/unuseful with my comments.
In 1 year membership, I have got about 700 comments and given almost 2400. Of course I'm faaaaar from a professional critiquer or/and photographer but I think I'm always honest, not partial, not participating in any competition, not too harsh and not too "sweet", never rude and well willing to help as often as my freetime let me do that...

My opinion is that you become a "real member" of any club or community only by giving a bit of yourself, especially on a great, free site as this one with a webmaster who is very tolerant.

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 03-01-2004, 05:09 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: I agree!

Bonjour,

Pourrais t'on avoir svp une version Francaise de ce sujet qui semblefort intrressant sous babel !

Merci d'avance ;-)

Frdric
Old 03-01-2004, 05:54 PM
TE Junior Member

Thank you, Nina. You expressed exactly what I feel/think. Because of my - still - pure english I'll just add: YES, I agree.
And thanks for the statistic, it says a lot.

Regards
Jnos
Old 03-01-2004, 06:29 PM

Default Jnos: Niva, Nina ou Viviane? :o)

Bonjour Jnos, I'm not sure about which person you were talking to... :o)

Viviane
Old 03-01-2004, 06:32 PM

Traduction pour Frdric et les personnes parlant le Franais:

Bonjour Niva,

Je suis d'accord avec vous, et ce n'est pas la 1re fois que la question se pose. Beaucoup veulent recevoir, trop peu donnent, peut-tre une attitude devenue tout fait normale chez l'homme? [et chez la femme... :o) ] Mais je dois dire que la pression se sent quand il faut choisir d'ouvrir les "thumbnails" parmi le nombre grandissant des envois de photos...

Qq statistiques: Aujourd'hui j'avais pas mal de temps de libre, alors j'ai pu faire 17 commentaires/critiques et a m'a pris plus d'1 heure pour regarder chaque thumbnail de la journe du 29 fvrier et d'aujourd'hui et pour choisir, ouvrir et commenter ces 17 photos.
J'ai aussi compter, pour la journe d'hier, 29 fvrier, 220 !!! photos postes contre 24 !!! le 28 fevrier de l'anne dernire...

J'essaie toujours d'tre impartiale, c'est pourquoi j'ai choisi l'option "Ne pas monter les points", et depuis peu, galement l'option "Ne pas monter l'auteur et les points accompagnant les thumbnails". Mais il y a tout de mme une chose que je fais chaque fois avant le "log in", c'est de cliquer sur ma petite toile dore et de regarder si mes commentaires/critiques sont apprcis, et oui, rgulirement, une personne bien intentionne me colle un "not useful". J'en ai dj 30! :o)
J'aimerai que la dte personne aille de ce pas sur ma homepage, clique sur le bouton "Contact me" et m'explique honntement ce qui ne lui plat pas dans mes commentaires/critiques.
Me voil membre de TE depuis un an, et j'ai reu qq 700 comments et j'en ai donn presque 2400. Bien sr je ne suis professionnelle ni en critiques ni en photographie, mais je pense tre honnte, sans aucun parti pris, je suis hors comptition, ni trop dure ni trop aimable, jamais dsobligeante et toujours prte aider qui que ce soit en mesure de mon temps et de mes connaissances...

Pour conclure je dirai que l'on est un vritable membre d'un club ou d'une communaut qu'en montrant un peu de gnrosit, surtout sur un site aussi accueillant que TE, gratuit de surcroit, et gr de faon excellente par un webmaster trs tolrant.

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 03-01-2004, 06:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Jnos: Niva, Nina ou Viviane? :o)

Sorry, my fault, apologize. Of course you, Viviane.
I also don't know how to manage it the best way, it is difficult to satisfy everybody. Thinking about making my critiques one day for the "older" ones, the next one for the "newcomers". Or ask Adam to increase the number of the possibly given points... Or - no, no, I don't stop with TE, even it takes a lot of time for me.
You need 1,5 hours, and you haven't to struggle with the dictionary....
Old 03-01-2004, 08:29 PM
TE Junior Member

Merci Nina , heu Viviane ;-)))))

Tout pareil je pense tout pareil que toi ! Alors pas besoin que je fasse une note !

Pour les "Not useful" ca doit etre par moment j'ai pris une raffale l'autre jour , je me dis alors tiens un qui n'a pas aim ma franchise !

Je m'eforce de noter galement ceux qui n'ont pas eu de note afin de les aider progresser !

A bientt

Frdric