Violation- Excessive post-processing - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-25-2004, 04:38 PM
TE Newbie

Default Violation- Excessive post-processing

So what do you concretely consider excessive post processing in my withdrawn picture? the frame? :)
Old 01-25-2004, 04:54 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Violation- Excessive post-processing

"the frame?"

Yes, frame must be straight-edged.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:00 PM
TE Newbie

Default How bizarre!

What's next?
Old 01-25-2004, 06:13 PM

Default Re: How bizarre!

It's all there in the Terms of Service.

Item 3.

Only photographs are permitted. Images may not be digitally manipulated in an image editing program ie, Photoshop except for the following reasons:
Copyright notices and (straight-edged) frames
Cropping, resizing and sharpening
Touching up (dust, slight imperfections)
Levels, Curves, Color adjustment, Hue, Saturation etc. for minor image enhancements.
Multiple exposures to get proper exposure values
Stitching for panoramic photos
Color conversion to Black and White, Sepia, Duotone etc.
Perspective correction for parallax or lens distortion.

It has been said before and will undoubtedly be said again. This is Adam's site and members have to abide by Adam's rules.

Regards

Keith
Old 01-25-2004, 06:39 PM
TE Newbie

You are right Keith, if there is a rule it should be respected. We are just too enthusiastic of posting our shots and just missed the Terms of Service ;)

Tomorrow, same picture, same place, no frame :)

Susana.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:06 PM
TE Newbie

Why must the frame be straight edged?

Is this because of the neccesity for posting on the internet and works better for Adams technical visions of Trek earth? Because if it truly has to do with excessive post processing then there are hundreds of images & their discriptive notes that possibly are in violation of excessive post-processing.

This is a confusing issue for me as I learn more about programs such as Photoshop & neat image attributes.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:21 PM

".....if it truly has to do with excessive post processing then there are hundreds of images & their discriptive notes that possibly are in violation of excessive post-processing." Momshu

This is a question that has been raised on a number of occasions. We all interpret the rules of the site as best we can because I would suggest that it is almost impossible to put together a definitive set of parameters for what is and isn't allowed. The straight edge frame is actually one of the definite rules as set down by Adam who owns and runs the site.
The only person who can decide whether an image has undergone "excessive post-processing" is Adam. I think the rules as set out allow for a good degree of manipulation before falling foul of those guidelines. I believe the bottom line is that images should remain basically naturalistic e.g. no posterisation, chalk image or similar effects. There is still a lot that can be done legitimately to get the best out of an image. NeatImage is a good example of that. Its use doesn't fundamentally alter the content of the image, it simply 'cleans up' artefacts that can be created in the scanning or resizing of a picture.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:00 PM
TE Junior Member

I have always feel that if a digital manipulation that cannot be done with filters or by different types of films or print manipulation then it is problably too much. The problem is I don't know all the ways on how a image can be modified in non-digital forms either so I thends to tread the water carefully. Also when Adam says something is too much then I keep it in mind, after all we are all Adam's guests here on T.E.

Regards,
Thien
Old 01-26-2004, 12:17 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Violation- Excessive post-processing

j ai pas tout compris, et je n ai pas vu cette image!
mais je vois beaucoup d images retravaillees exessivement et pas naturelles qui reste sur TE..
si cette vigilance a ete faite sur cette image, c est un peu justifie, mais pour les autres ??
comment faire !!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:31 AM
TE Newbie

Default AS if....

As if anyone can tell if more has been done.