Point Lobos, California. - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-30-2006, 11:37 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Point Lobos, California.

Point Lobos lies on California's dramatic coastline about six miles south of Carmel. This is a place I have visited on numerous occasions in the past, and has been described as the "greatest meeting of land and water in the world".

At this time of year, park closing times don't interfere with the late afternoon 'golden hour' as they do later in the year. If you are interested in getting the best light in one of the best places for photography please reply to this post and we can arrange a time/place. This image of <A HREF="http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/photo311800.htm">Garrapata State Park</A> (slightly further south) gives you a feel for the area during that time of day.

Cheers,

Ron.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:42 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Point Lobos, California.

Hi Ron,
I was there several times but never found the real mood to get THE pictures. Your Garrapata State Park post made me interested. What are your plans?
Regards, Peter
Old 01-21-2007, 06:08 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Peter,

I'm pretty flexible as far as the area is concerned. I like Garrapata a little better since its quieter, but Point Lobos is a good option in winter because in spring or summer it closes well before the 'golden hour'.

Anyway, I'm in Japan next week so I'd be up for a trip the weekend of February 3/4. According to my sources sunset is at around 5:30PM that weekend and according to the park website you don't have to leave until 5PM.

If this sounds interesting just reply to this post and we can set something up.

Cheers,

Ron.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:26 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Ron,
Garrapata sounds fine. I have never been to this place.
The weekend 02/03-04 won't work for me. I will be in Brazil/Domenican Republic 02/03-02/18.
Any alternatives?
Have a good and safe trip to Japan! FIrst time there?
Regards, Peter
Old 01-21-2007, 11:29 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Peter,

We could go for some time later in February. What about the weekend of 17/18 February? Sunset is at 5:39PM on the 17th, which is still not too long after Point Lobos closes. Garrapata isn't a gated park so no worries about opening/closing times for that one. The two parks are only a few miles from each other.

I think this is my fourth time in Japan now. I go there on business from time to time - though sometimes only for a couple of days.

Ron.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 PM
TE Senior Member

02/17-18 is the weekend that I'm arriving from Dominican Republic. What about the next weekend or the following after that?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:41 AM
TE Junior Member

The weekend of 24/25 February works OK for me. Do you think that anyone else would be interested? There's not been much of a response to this post....

Ron.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:23 AM
TE Senior Member

Let me ask Douglas {darrasin). He might get interested in.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:57 PM
TE Newbie

I just jumped on and saw this thread. I would love a trek to Point Lobos ...but... I am already planning a trek to Yosemite that weekend to try, TRY, to catch a shot of Horsetail Falls at sunset. Late February when it is beginning to warm up is about the only time to catch this shot and it has to be a clear day. Hard to find a combination of a clear February day and warming temperatures but the shot is worth the effort.

KD
Old 02-02-2007, 07:55 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Kevin,

The weather is looking good for this weekend, so I'm planning to go down there on Sunday (4th). I may of course go back later in the month, but if you are available (at short notice) I could meet you then. Oh yeah, its Superbowl Sunday... should be a bit quieter then ;)

Ron.