Thinking of buying the Nikon D40.. help? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-19-2007, 02:11 AM
TE Newbie

Default Thinking of buying the Nikon D40.. help?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking to buy a beginners DSLR camera for a while now, and i have read many good reviews about the Nikon D40. I also had a good look through these forums and this has only confused me more!

A few members here said to make sure you know why you want a camera. Well i'm going overseas to live for a few years and i'd' like to take as many pictures as possible during my travels. I dont think i'd need anything 'super-dooper' but i was thinking of getting the Nikon D40 kit (18-55mm) and also purchasing the 55-200mm lense as well.

Here's the cheapest price i've found for the two together: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nikon-D40-body-18-55mm-55-200mm-TWIN-Lens-Kit-D40_W0QQitemZ260149046116QQihZ016QQcategoryZ43456Q QtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdQcmdZViewItem

Also while reading through these forums i've notied that a few of you have very bad opinions about the Nikons and more so about the limited lense range for the D40 (those which have the AF motor). I dont think i will be needing to focus myself, as i am just a beginner; so i'd really like the autofocus!

This will be a fairly large investment for me, so please if you have any comments to make about this camera; please let me know!

Looking forward to your reaplies..

Shiv
Old 08-19-2007, 03:01 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Thinking of buying the Nikon D40.. help?

I am definitely in the anti D40 group. There are just too few options to upgrade lenses for you IMO. I also believe that it has set a bad precedent for future Nikon cameras in that I would bet the replacement to the D80 will be similarly crippled. If you go into a camera store today, 80% of the Nikor lenses they will have for sale will not auto-focus on the D40. The shortest prime which will is the 105mm macro. Considering that one fo the first lenses a newer user will often want to get is a fast, normal prime for indoor and night photography, the D40 offers no upgrade path. The one exception is if you want a Sigma lens; there is one good choice for you, the 30/1.4. The bad news for older Nikon users is that if I am correct and the newer models are all similarly crippled, the value of their older, but very good lenses will plummet. That is bad news all around.

If you really want to go Nikon, find a used D70 or a D50. The image quality will be very similar, but the bodies aren't as crippled. At this point, I can't recommend Nikon to anyone though, not in good faith.

The Canon 350D or 400D are good cameras which will work properly with all Canon lenses. The Pentax K100D offers SR (shake reduction) in body, which will allow you to handhold your camera and get sharper photos when there are longer shutter speeds. The Pentax is the best entry level camera IMO, although its AF is slower than the others and the lenses might not be as easy to come by, depending upon where you live. The Pentax prime lenses are the best in many cases, as well as being less expensive than the CaNikon choices. Olympus has the e510, which is getting some very good press too, although I don't know as much about the Oly line. I would rate any of the other cameras I mentioned above the D40 though; it is too limited for my tastes. Sony has their A100, although it wouldn't come that high on my list of recommendations and it is a little pricier.

There are lots of good choices out there and I am sure that whatever you choose, you will be pleased with.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:29 AM
TE Newbie

thanks for the fast reply Darren! The major reason i've been looking at the D40 is because of Ken Rockwells review of it (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm). He practically worships this camera and sees it as a fun replacement for all the other cameras he's owned (well except for his serious photography).

From your experiences, generally the next upgrade would be the Sigma 30/1.4.. will this be all i need though?

thanks again for your detailed reply!

Shiv
Old 08-19-2007, 04:24 AM
TE Senior Member

I would take anything Ken Rockwell has to say with a huge grain of salt. He is a major Nikon cheerleader, but his reviews and thoughts should be given very little weight IMO. His is a very biased slant indeed.