Ricoh GX-100 hands on review - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-14-2007, 05:14 AM
TE Expert

Default Ricoh GX-100 hands on review

WARNING:
I am a Ricoh man so you might want to take that in consideration when reading this review.

INTRO:
As is often the case with Ricoh cameras, the GX-100 is an eccentric (one might say -original) package. Two things stand out immediately: the 24mm extrawide capability, and the highly unusual detachable and adjustable EVF viewfinder.

BODY:
The body is extremely comfortable to the touch and compact being closely modelled on the excellent GR DIgital. Blacvk and rubbery in the right places, it looks professional and does not call attention to itself. Ergonomics are very good IMHO.

LENS:
Well, there you are - how many compact digicams will take you down to 24mm. This is a 24-72mm f2.5-f4.4 zoom with aspherical elements and a blending of glass and plastic. From whatI've seen so far pictures are very sharp indeed. Color is conservative but accurate for the most part.

EVF:
Pro - the adjustable capability is nice as you can vary the angle of approach so to speak - the finder goes all the way to vertical.
Con: you cannot use it as a waist level finder - damn!
Image is not bad for an EVF, certaionly good enough to frame a shot and you can use it in bright sunlight where the LCD would be unusable.

Auto white balance:
Surprisingy good. This cam is capable of highly accurate colors (once again on the conservative side, but that is a plus in my book, as you can always jazz things up in pp.)

Conclusion:
I am personally enamored of this little cutie enough to seriously contemplate buying one (about time, says Ricoh!) It would mean selling my Canon G7 - I htink 24mm-72 is more useful in real life shooting than 35-200 with a tiny optical viewfinder that only covers 85% of the frame and gives you serious parallax error when focusing close.

Hope this was useful and not too biased...
Old 05-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Banned

Default Re: Ricoh GX-100 hands on review

thanks a lot for the review Francis, I like the RAW and the range, not sure I'd buy the EVF though, but I'm worried by the noise, still undecided...
JY
Old 05-14-2007, 02:52 PM
TE Expert

WARNING:
I just learned today there are man recalls of early machines due to problems with the AF system.
OUCH!!!
Please hold off ntil this problem is fixed...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:55 AM
TE Expert

Salut les loulous, jai craqu, je me le suis offert !
Et bien, faut avouer que je suis dj conquis par le concept de cet appareil !
Un zoom qui dbute 24mm (Equiv), F2.5, stabilisation, dbrayage en mode manuel, 10MP, format RAW DNG. Roulette M ,A,P et 2 modes configurables sur la molette !
Bref, la prise ne main est tellement parfaite, qun dirait presque un Nikon !
Non, srieusement, il ne me quitte plus !
PS : A noter que le mode noir et blancs en format 6x6, 400 isos est franchement parfait, il ne ncessite aucun post-traitement et le grain est juste excellent !
Bref, cest la premire fois que je sors des B&W potables en numrique !
Jai postes 2 ou 3 samples GX-100 sur ma galerie PBase .
www.pbase.com/zepi
;-)
Old 05-16-2007, 02:03 AM
TE Expert

Bravo Zepi, t'as bien fait. Merci pour le raport sur le vif. Je vais vendre mon gros Canon G7 et acheter le Ricoh. Ici au Japonil y a eu des problemes d'AF mais ca n'a pas l'air d'avoir ete ton cas...
Merci, Sbeastien, en tant que Ricoh Man, ca me rend tres fier...;o)
Francis
Old 05-18-2007, 10:46 PM

Thanks Francis - good review! But... How fast is it?

By that I mean, how quick is the AF?

How soon after turning it on can you take a shot?

What's the shot-to-shot time like in RAW?

How's the card interface speed looking?

Obviously I'm not looking for detailed numbers - just a feel of it, compared to your 5D for example?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:03 AM
TE Expert

In all honesty it's not that fast... AD speed is acceptale... RAW sjot-to-shot os pretty damn slow, as with the GR Digital.
Where this littlebeauty scoes big is in the original features - true 2/3 format 24mm at the wide end, a fascinating adjustable, removable EVF viewfinder and a very useful step zoom feature. By all acconts the lens is really sharp too - I met with the designers of the camera yesterday at Ricoh (to do a web piece on the conception of the thin) and they were brimming with pride - same team that came up with the GR Digital.
If you expect blazing speed, you might be disappointed though.
Cheers,
Francis
Old 05-19-2007, 05:19 AM

Thanks for the update Francis!

I must admit, having been an SLR user, then a dSLR user - the sloth of compacts isn't for me. If it had been faster, then it would be the perfect pocket camera. As you say, 24mm and 2:3 should be a winning combination!

I think I'll stick with the F31fd as my pocket cam, it's fast, and good at high ISO - and if I need wider I can always stitch ;)
Old 05-22-2007, 04:45 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Francis,

Now that this original little thing came out, I am thinking of NOT buying the G7 like we talked about before. 24-70 would be great for the streets. RAW format as well, where there is none for the G7.

The 7 blade iris aperture enables fine tuning and achieves beautiful blurred backgrounds.
The optional wide conversion lens enables users to shoot 19 mm ultra-wide-angle photography (but note a separate optional hood and adaptor set is required). I took note of this from dpreview.com. I'm starting to like this thing!

It looks nice and humble, so yea, it won't draw too much attention like you said. Thanks for your review, I found it non biased, and accurate to other reviews.

-Brian
Old 05-22-2007, 02:50 PM
TE Expert

Yes, but for te time being Im sticking to the G7 it is such a PLEASANT camera to handle, like a poor man's Leica but the Ricoh does look tempting. What to do?