Furachan - Page 9 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Furachan

hahaha, bravo pour cet humour trθs bien placι au milieu des pleurnicheries, excellent...
Old 02-17-2008, 12:25 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: The "other site"........

Well said Alvin! I just joined the site but have no intention of leaving here or deleting everything!
Old 02-20-2008, 04:48 AM
TE Senior Member

Errr...Well, I have a few things to say. As someone who joined PH, and was not invited, I don't think there is so much of an elitist attitude as some might imply. I'm not, and have never really been part of "the group" I suppose...at least it never felt that way. I have good relationships with some of the photographers on PH, but others I've nevered encountered. PH is a matter of putting photography first and other qualifiers second; I.E. travel etc. There is a focus on people who find another level in photography...not all are strictly street photographers. I actually would like to be, you know, just a photographer and we are trying to change the perception of some others...The restrictions are for obvious reasons, limiting the number of posts and regulating the quality through quanity. The response Paul, I can imagine, was not meant to be short or rude...most likely the interpretation was skewed because of language differenses. I recommend going out and shooting with a specific goal in mind...and theme, then presenting the resulting images. Who knows; dude, we all suck sometimes...most times actually.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:28 AM
TE Junior Member

As Furachan would say, you hit the nail on its head here... ;)))

The main difference between TE and PH comes down to a difference of one's attitude and priorities: while photography (ANY kind of photography, by the way, there are not only street shooters on PH) is clearly the main priority for Photoholik members (and the name of that site implies this is supposed to be more than a priority...;)), the travel/LATW component is (ideally, at least) at least as important on TE as photography as such (that's why on TE we have the geographical database, that's why on TE we are supposed to write informative notes, etc). In this sense, PH was a logical answer to the disbalance which has formed on TE between the groups of members with different priorities and to frustrations of some members that the others do not share their priorities, and theoretically speaking, now there should be less tension than it was last year. Everyone deserves its own niche in life, and in this sense, "divorce" is not always a bad thing; there always should be an alternative, especially as we all are evolving, and today's holiday snapshooter / happy TE uploader tomorrow may very well become obsessed with "big" photography, be it street, landscape, or something else. This doesn't mean he/she won't be welcome on TE anymore, far from that, but just in case he/she grows too high for this site and it becomes uncomfortable here for him/her - there will be an alternative...
Old 02-22-2008, 08:38 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Alexander.

To quote you:

"but just in case he/she grows too high for this site and it becomes uncomfortable here for him/her - there will be an alternative..."

Are you serious?? Do you really believe that Photoholik is a for when people "grow too high" to be on TE? Too high??

So, those of us on TE are "holiday snapshooters / happy TE uploaders" who "tomorrow may very well become obsessed with "big" photography, be it street, landscape, or something else". Sorry, but I feel that comment is extremely arrogant and demeaning to TE members and TE as a site.

What is "big photography" by the way??? Please explain to us little kiddies who just like messing around with our instamatics, we'd love to know....

IMO, Photoholik is simply "different" as it doesn't seem hung up on a pointless points system and it allows people to work on projects. This is not better, it's just different.

Having looked at the work on Photoholik, I don't think it's "better" than TE nor do I believe the photographers on Photoholik are, by definition, "better" than those on TE. Some might be, others aren't. Let's be clear, most of the Photoholik membership was / still is made up of TE members.

However, all that aside, you have - in an instant - just made my mind up to never, ever, ever want to join Photoholik. Thank you for that much, at least.

Paul.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:32 AM
TE Junior Member

mmmm, i think the word 'high' was mis-used. I think he was referring to the point where someone feels that they would like to take their photography in a different direction other to wat trekearth can offer. Nothing wrong with that. Flickr is free, but sometimes you have to apply to join a group and sometimes you get rejected.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:56 AM
TE Expert

Paul,

you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with PH these days. Your posts are getting more and more touchy as PH is brought up in this thread. Why is that?

Ill tell you why I joined PH. Over the summer I realized there were things I wanted to do with photography that TE couldnt be a venue for. Projects are one aspect of it. Not only the technical aspect of it but the foundation of the site's philosophy. But in general though I believe I never really fit the learning about the world approach before I slowed down my posting, afterwards that was really going to be the case. When I was invited to join PH I had no idea there was even such a thing. I had pretty much stopped posting to TE and had no clue there was such a site forming. I had spent most of my time on flickr but PH allowed me to re-visit with some old friends and that was the thing that drew me to it most.

I think TE is fine but as with most things we outgrow them. The thing for me about TE is that it is a drifting ship that hasnt evolved since I joined it. I got bored and dont forsee posting here again mainly because I dont think I would fit in here anymore. As far as street goes, PH isnt a place for street its more of a place for documentary. Some of it is street but I for example have made it a point to not shoot much street anymore, preferring to put together stories. As many of the stories I am developing now are of family I would be breaking TE's rules.

Is PH better than TE? Its different, I think theres just more of an emphasis on developing an authorship through narrative than there is on TE.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM
TE Junior Member

Dear Paul,

As I already said some time ago, I perfectly understand your frustrations about being rejected at Photoholik. I know such things can hit really hard.

That aside, I now realize that the word "(too) high" in my post was probably (too) strong ;)), because what I wanted to say with that became misinterpreted by you and maybe by some other TE members. Let me, once more, make my position clear.

By no means have I meant to say that PH is "better" than TE. You are completely right that it's just different, not better or worse. And this difference, I repeat, is a difference of attitude and priorities: for PH members, photography is the main priority, while for TE members, travel/"learn about the world" component is considered to be at least as important. TE is not only a photographic site, we all know that, that's why we have notes, geographical database, and TOS restrictions as what not to post. On PH, you do not have all that, because PH is only about photography, not about anything else, and PH is only for people whose main priority, maybe even in life, is photography. So when I said that someone can "grow too high" for this site - all what I meant was that someone can change the priorities, with photography, ANY photography, not only the kind which is accepted by the TOS of TE, becoming a real obccession. This is what I meant by "big" photography, nothing more. Probably I have to be more careful with my words, and sorry you or if anybody here were offended by my comment, I really didn't mean to be arrogant. I'll tell you more, I by no means consider myself a "big" photographer and presently do not have much ambitions in this respect, of course TE for me is a great place to learn photography but at the same time I am here to learn about the world, and this is for me at least as important as photography itself, and therefore TE fits my interests perfectly. I am an amateur in photography, as most of TE members, and presently do not aspire to become a professional (again, this is all down to the question of priorities in life, not so much about quality...), whereas, as far as I can guess, most of PH members do. See the point?:)))

Cheers
Alexander
Old 02-22-2008, 12:53 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Rafal,

My health's fine, thanks, and not being accepted by Photoholik (Ph)hasn't made one jot of difference one way or the other. The fact that I wasn't accepted is now history and I'm neither obsessed nor frustrated by it.

Your point about Ph being different is very well made and, as you'll have seen from what I've posted, I agree entirely. Also, whilst I enjoy posting photos I've taken on my travels onto TE, I've decided that I would also like to work on some photographic projects. Ph seemed like a natural choice for this aspiration.

Let's be clear. I wish Ph and its members all the best in their endeavours and, to some extent, I can understand that it would not be wise to allow the site to be 'flooded' with new entrants. However, the admin team really needs to brush up their PR message when they say 'no' to new applicants.

As for TE, I can sort of see what you mean but I'm happy enough to continue posting here as I like the people and there's always something interesting to look at and learn from. However, I will continue to look for an alternative site onto which to post projects.

All the best,

Paul.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned

Default Re: Furachan (to Paul)

Paul, it is said very pleasantly!
Good photographic hunts!...
Best regards! alain