To bostankorkulugu: Istanbul - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great bostankorkulugu 2010-09-16 23:41

hey, so you were in istanbul! :D... would have loved to meet you stefano...

a perfect documentary of the busy istiklal street this is...

all the best

korkut

Old 09-17-2010, 08:13 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To bostankorkulugu: Istanbul

Hello Korkut,

yes I spent 4 fulll days in Istanbul. I really enjoyed the city. A very pleasent vacation. I would have liked to have more time to dedicate to photography,
going in less touristic areas, and just touring around. Maybe in a next visit, who knows...

I take this occasion to ask you a question about Ramadam. When I was there it was still the Ramadam period, at least for two days, and I happened to be in restaurants, in Sultanamhet, where the dinner was served only after the proper time. But the same places, and many other places all around, normallly served food at lunch time, or during the day. We were quite confused by this. How does things work ?

Best Regards

Stefano
Old 09-17-2010, 12:01 PM
TE Expert

Default ramadan

here is your answer Stefano:

during the Famadan the muslims are supposed to be fasting for the whole month, from sunrise till sunset... no food, no water, unlike the christian version... the muezzin on the minaret calls for the sunset prayer and the food is served... but dont expect everyone to fast... i personally dont, you know it depends on how devoted you are to religion, if you ever practise any...
so you can find restaurants serving food any time of the day... may be only in small conservative towns where almost everyone fasts and no tourists bother to visit ...

you sound like a muslim tourist getting surprised when seeing people on the streets of Rome on sunday and asking:
"but aren't they all supposed to be in churches praying???" LOL! >:P

cheers

Korkut