slim filter + more filters - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 06:10 AM
TE Senior Member

Default slim filter + more filters

I love to take photos with GND filters (Cokin, Lee etc) of moving waters with my wide angle lens (Sigma 10-20mm).
Recently, I have been planning to upgrade my gear to a full frame camera and the Canon EF 16-35 f2.8 L II USM. I have read the specs and reviews, and it is recommended to “weather seal” the lens by attaching a UV filter. It is recommended to use good quality filters, such as B+W 82mm UV MRC, and moreover slim to avoid vignetting. However, being “slim” means no front thread for adding the rim to attach the Cokin filter. Then, I am in a dilemma: to seal it, not having vignetting, but not able to use other filters, or to seal with a non slim filter, but have vignetting…. or not to seal/protect at all.

Any of you have had the same dilemma? Is there any way to have it all right?

Advice and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Regards

Jorge
Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Slim filter

Hi Jorge,
I use a B+W 82mm Slim MRC KSM CPL on my Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens. I don't have a B+W 82mm UV MRC yet ... not sure if I'm going to get one. I regard the CPL as my lens protector. The filter comes with a lousy cap which always come off your lens. Once you use this filter you can't use your lens cap. At FL 16mm minor vignetting still occurs on my full frame body. The disadvantage of this slim filter is that you can't stack it with other filters and you can't use your lens cap. The cap that comes with the filter doesn't work very well ... it doesn't protect your expensive filter from scratch. When not in use I pull a plastic bag over the lens with CPL and cap attached and secure it with a rubber band ... so that the cap won't fall off in my camera bag. In indoor or low light shooting I remove the CPL but always have the lens hood attached as a protection. That's how I worked around the problems of protecting my lens & slim filter during my 48 day trip last autumn. My suggestion is to "weather seal" the lens all the time with slim filter and take it off when needed or when you use your GND filter. BTW, I have no experience with GND filters. Have a good day Jorge. Regards. Latiff.

How come you are a senior member and I'm a Junior member? I joined earlier than you and posted more photos too .

Last edited by ls7902; 04-15-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: edit
Old 04-16-2010, 02:02 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi Latiff,

Thanks first for your reply. Yes, I have heard about all the issues regarding the cap of the filter.
It seems that I will have to remove the filter if I want to use my GND filters... I do not see other option (or holding them with my hand in front of the lens, but that does not work with slow shutter.. and I usually shoot in slow speed)
Anyway, I have to first cross the bridge...

Regarding your question about seniro member... I have no idea!.. I have been away for several months due to my new born baby... so this is the first time I see the new clasification of members.

cheers

Jorge
Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 PM
TE Junior Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7902 View Post
Hi Jorge,
How come you are a senior member and I'm a Junior member? I joined earlier than you and posted more photos too .
ls7902:

Bruno40:

You don chat enough Latiff, that`s why

Nelu