To batalay: why I joined TE - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jusninasirun 2009-06-12 18:28

Hi Bill,

This is just amazing. Top class tall frame in so much details. I like the setting around here and how you have managed the light and shadow. Brilliantly executed and TFS. Just curious on how you get them to pose - I am not good at asking :-(

Best regards,
Jusni

Old 06-12-2009, 03:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To batalay: why I joined TE

Thanks, Bulent.

This was the first photo I uploaded to TE - I had followed a link to something, I forget what, of interest on the Dunbar page in January 2008. Out of curiosity I clicked on the next up section, East Lothian. There I was astonished to see a small low resolution version of this picture. The note said the poster had found it "in an old folder", and I knew he often joined in the forum on our local community website where I had once posted it. So I asked him if he would like a high-res copy, but he declined and at my request offered me freedom to use his Schiehallion photo on my website.

Coincidentally, yesterday I came across a rather less innocent example. I followed a link to Photobucket, and then went to its other pages, did a search on 'east lothian' and found my 'Fading sunset' (on which you had commented in September) and several I recognised as by Auldal. All purported to be by a Greek man called Heruka (xepyka). Alastair and I complained, and today he has disappeared from the 'east lothian' search. TE member crhieatt was also pirated by this man - maybe there were others, too. Sad, is it not? What good did it do him? A sort of compliment to us, though. But what a waste of my time ...

Winifred
Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To batalay: why I joined TE

Hi Winifred,

Fascinating story, fascinating detective work! But it is ultimately sad.

A couple of times I've asked friends, including Steven Branley, Scottish (who has since left TE), if I could have high resolution forms of their images, to use in my lectures, and they have always complied. I in turn have given several of my images to others for publication when they asked me if they could use them. But plagiarizing photos!

Warm regards, Winifred. Have a good weekend.

Bulent