Russia and Location - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-03-2004, 12:11 AM
TE Expert

Default Russia and Location

To sum up why Russia is in Asia on this site:

The country "Russian Federation", commonly referred to as "Russia" is located in both Europe and Asia. The majority of its landmass is located in Asia. From a cultural or population or historical perspective, it would be considered part of Europe.

I have chosen to base the location classification on the geographical boundaries of this country. Since most of the area is located in Asia, it has been placed in Asia.

Eventually an alias feature will be developed to allow for countries to be located in multiple continents.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:35 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Russia and Location

Cyprus just joined European Union and is located in Middle East.
I think it would be better to place this country in Europe.
Turkey is also a contry located on 2 continents and is candidate to join European Union.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:49 AM
TE Junior Member

Turkey is also a contry located on 2 continents and is candidate to join European Union.

Yes and it is not because it is candidate to join E.U. It will belongs to Europe. If there is a chance it joins the E.U. it would mean that E.U. has part in middle East. Also, Turkey is far (for now) to join the E.U. because it has a lot of effort to do about human right, because many european people would not agree with that idea and becauseif Turkey should join the E.U. it would mean Europe would have a frontiere with Irak... What is politically difficult.

And don't forget that the E.U. is just an union of countries, not one country.

Here we're talking about geagraphical location.

As mentionned, Russia has the biggest part of his territory in Asia. Geographicaly, Europe ends at Oural mountains at the East, Mediterranean sea and Gibraltar channel at the South and a line starting from the Black Sea passing through Aegean Sea and West of Crete Island.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:11 AM
TE Expert

"Cyprus just joined European Union and is located in Middle East.
I think it would be better to place this country in Europe."

Since Cyprus is located in the Middle East, it will remain in the Middle East on this site. I classify locations based on geography, not political or other reasons.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:14 AM
TE Expert

Since most of Turkey is located in the Middle East, it will remain in the Middle East on this site. Once a location alias feature has been created, I would add Turkey to Europe as well.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:52 AM
TE Junior Member

he-he, as a citizen of a country that has just [arbitrary :)] been allocated to Asia, I actually don't mind! it is funny though, because culturally Russia is much closer to Europe than to Asia... although some say it is still searching for its identity, torn between Europe and Asia (as, I heard, Turkey is).

meaningless commentary but i couldn't keep silent on this matter. i am sure you will understand :)