Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 11:11 AM
TE Senior Member

Question Problems with image after uploading

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has noticed or has had a similar problem. Very kindly a fellow TE'r undertook a workshop on one of my images pointing out that it seemed slightly underexposed. Bearing this in mind I uploaded another image and paid attention to the exposure issue and really got it spot on with the image in CS4 before I uploaded. However, when I view the image on TE - it appears to be slightly underexposed again but my when I open my original file the exposure is fine and the colours more vibrant etc.

So somewhere in the process of uploading the image changed slightly from how I was seeing it.

Anyone noticed anything with their images?

Thanks

Mike
Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 AM
TE Expert

Question About your picture

You should give us a link to your picture
Regards
Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 AM
TE Expert

Question About your picture

No problem with your picture you should calibrate your screen
Regards
Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 AM
TE Senior Member

Default For Didi

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...oto1370056.htm

Didi - this is the image on TE which as you can see seems slightly underexposed. It is different in exposure and colour to the one I uploaded after post processing to correct these issues - just wondered if there was a technical issue causing it during upload?

thanks

Mike
Old 06-22-2012, 11:34 AM
TE Senior Member

Question Calibrate?

Ok

First of all how do I calibrate my screen?

Secondly I am using the same screen to view both images which are the same file its just that when I view it on the website - underexposed and when I view it in CS4 it seems well exposed with better colours etc

Confused?

Thanks

Mike
Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 PM
TE Expert

Default My answer

I have done a critic to your picture.
Best regards
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 PM
TE Junior Member

I'm facing the same issue, the images i work on my computer look bright and nice and after i upload the colours are darker and less vivid (strangely on facebook albuns they look perfect, i don't know why)... what i think is happening is that on photoshop on the tab view/proof setup, we have to choose internet standard RGB, so it gives us the colours and exposure on how it will appear on trekearth...
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 PM

Michael, I don't think there's a need to calibrate your monitor, which, if it is done properly, requires quite expensive equipment. You're pointing to an inconsistency observed on the same screen, after all.

I think many of us have noticed that some photos do not look exactly the same as they did on the screen before uploading. Some members have complained in the past about apparent loss of sharpness, for instance. And I've seen the same complaints on other photo sites. The number of kilobytes of an image also seems to change in the uploading process.

Aida could be on to something with his comment above. One thing I'd certainly check is that your colour space is SRGB, rather than Adobe RGB. With regard to the photo in question, I think it looks good! You probably expected a bit more detail in the shadowed areas. My personal preference is for photos that are just a fraction under-exposed, at least on whatever screen I'm using. Don't forget that all the viewers of your photo have different monitor setups and what may look under-exposed to some might look just right to others. Very few people have properly calibrated monitors, and most just use the saturation and contrast controls provided by the operating system. Sometimes I upload a photo on my desktop machine and later, when looking at it on the laptop, it seems to be not dark enough!

If this is the only photo you're concerned about, it may be possible that the degree of contrast has caused the program at the other end to adjust the 'exposure' towards the darker areas. But I'm just guessing. Try SRGB if you haven't already.

Also, you may find someone with more knowledge about this in the Feedback/Support forum, where technical issues are more likely to be discussed.

Last edited by macondo; 06-26-2012 at 11:50 PM.