Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM
TE Expert

Default recognising quality

What is wrong with TE members when they cannot respond to the obvious quality of this image?
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asi...oto1365081.htm
Old 05-26-2012, 01:53 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Unrecognizing Quality

I have been asking the same question for a while now as I encounter countless shots from long established members who used to take greater care with their work and who now tend to post poor quality images almost as an afterthought, or as a medium through which to keep in touch with their established friends, knowing full well that regardless of how poor the shot is, they will get friendly(and often cliched and meaningless) comments. Meanwhile excellent work by the more quiet and less exuberant newer members is overlooked. Now I dredge through a heap of mediocre photos, looking for that something unique and days roll past before a photo captures my imagination. Thanks for bringing this photographer to my notice. I have seen another of his portraits a while back. Regards. Klaudio.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:44 PM
TE Expert

Default Recognition.

In 18 months, the photographer has only made 8 (eight) critiques, with 3 of those in January, & nothing since. They would get a LOT more recognition if they made a lot more critiques. To me, that indicates that they are not seriously interested in TE, so why should a regular contributor be ignored, in favour of someone who only pops in every 5 months or so?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 PM

Sorry Glint but maybe I'm missing something. I don't see 'obvious quality' in the image to make it stand out. I'm certainly not saying it's a poor image but I have seen many images on TE which have far more visual impact, particularly when viewing the thumbnail.
I don't have time, or the inclination, to open every image to view the full size version. That means that if the thumbnail doesn't "grab me" I will pass it over.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 PM
TE Expert

Default Quality

@Keitht,
That gorgeous blue alone stands out.The colours and light have the painterly quality of an old master, imho.
My name is Bev, by the way.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:36 AM
TE Expert

Post Why Aren't They Writing Critiques?

Dear Bev & the many others who have written a Forum message like this in the past

Firstly, can I say that this photo did not appeal to me. Therefore I didn't critique it. Each to their own, as they say. Perhaps this photo didn't appeal to other people as it did to you. Good on you for critiquing it, but really, it's pretty presumptuous to tell us what we should and shouldn't like, and then criticise us for not sharing your view.

My second point is, as Chris J points out, this photographer has made no contribution to TE. He has made virtually no critiques here and has not particpated in any Forum. And my response is one I've wanted to make every time someone says, "oh look at those pathetic TE'ers critiquing each other, patting each other on the back for each other's (mediocre) photos - and ignoring real talent...like me...like so-and-so" (as the case may be).

The response is so obvious it embarasses me to have to spell it out: TE is a community. We submit our photos here with the obvious intention of having them appreciated, commented upon or criticised by others in the TE community. It amazes me to see people regularly submit photos, make no critiques of other people's photos and then scream blue murder when - surprise, surprise - no one critiques theirs in return. The selfishness and sense of entitlement of it stuns me.

And as is the normal response of selfish people, they choose to denigrate the people that genuinely do participate in this community.

As in any community, you get what you put in. It's not a difficult concept, we're not talking astrophysics here. And because we're in a community, I'd rather reward someone who genuinely participates, much more than I'd want to reward someone who doesn't participate in that community and only posts photos.

I've tried other photo sites and TE is unique in that it gives you a real sense of community. The friendships and skills I've gained here mean alot to me and I know they mean alot to many other people here. The members are the reason why I have stayed on TE.

Donato (Longroute) found a brilliant piece on critiquing on another site, which made alot of sense to me.

"Why aren't you writing critiques for other photographers? Clearly you enjoy receiving them, did you consider that other photographers would enjoy receiving your feedback on their photos?

Are you too busy to write critiques? Spouse, kids, cat, dog, laundry, family, church, job, all keeping you hopping. We understand, we all have the same or similar responsibilities and commitments. But then we all have the same 24 hours. If you're too busy to critique, you're too busy to submit photos.

Do you feel you're too new to photography to give feedback, that you're not qualified? photo*** believes everyone is capable of giving useful feedback, even if you are not a photographer, even if you are a new photographer. Everyone is capable of expressing what they like or do not like about a photograph and why and how a photo makes you feel. That is the basis for any good critique.

Is English not your first language? We appreciate that it is more difficult and time consuming to write critiques in English for people whose mother tongue is not English. Have you tried an online language translator? In the end though, you've chosen to join an English speaking site. If the effort is too much for you then consider joining a site in your language where you can participate fully and fairly.

Are you a photographer but not a writer? Then Photo*** may not be the best choice of sites for you. Photo*** is a critique site, not a photo sharing site. The purpose of Photo*** is to learn more about photography by thoughtfully considering photographs and writing critiques about them.

Do you feel that submitting your photo is your contribution to the community? That might be the true if we had a shortage of photos, but we don't. We have a shortage of critiques. In any case, a photo submission is not a contribution, but a request for others to critique your work. Is it fair that you should only take and not give?

What's in it for you to critique other people? Photo*** firmly believes that writing critiques helps your own photography improve. As you learn to write better critiques, you naturally critique your own photographs as you take them.

Please consider critiquing other peoples' photographs more frequently, besides helping them, you might be surprised how much it helps you. Thank you"

I agree wholeheartedly with this idea.

Sincerely
Lisa Delpeoples
Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 AM
TE Expert

Default Good Point

You make some very good points here Lisa. There is a landscape photographer who regularly posts excellent work on the site. I have critiqued his images many times but not a squeak out of him. It's disappointing because being a landscape lover, I think he could give me great advice and pointers on how to improve my own work. I actually suggested in one of my critiques that he become more involved, he didn't reply to that either. Now I just look at this work but say nothing. Perhaps he just wants a place to showcase his work

Community is a huge part of what this site is about. The feedback, encouragement and friendships I have made here have all added to my growth as a photographer. Never-mind how much I learn about the world by reading some exceptional notes. To fully benefit from membership, it is almost obligatory to put your time in looking and critiquing other people's work with so many members it is easy to slip through the cracks if you don't.

Thanks for your thoughtful post Lisa and anyone who feels a bit sidelined on the site have you considered putting in an extra little effort?

Have a good week

Rosemary
Old 06-06-2012, 06:40 AM
TE Expert

Default Cut & Paste

Lisa, can I please cut & paste your brilliant response, over on TL?

There is a very vocal soapbox minority on TL that consistently bash the regulars, TL itself, & even moderators & admin, yet make little or no effort to be part of a functioning community or change it from within, by becoming a part of the community.

It might give them some food for thought?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 AM
TE Expert

Smile Certainly

Hi Chris

Thanks for the nice words of support. You can certainly cut and paste it as much as you want. I've been meaning to write this for ages, but never had the time until now.

Thanks again
Lisa
Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 AM
TE Expert

Default Backslappers

Lisa

Have a look at this thinly veiled attack in their intro page:

http://www.treklens.com/members/smogus/

Says more about the member, than it does about me.