Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 PM
TE Junior Member

Post The amount of photos stolen from TE posted on other sites

Hi,
I've been away for a while but checked yesterday the forums where the problem of stolen photos on TE keeps on going without an end even if many members are reporting this in the forums.

I've never checked like I did yesterday if my photos were being used by others... well what a "nice surprise" I got...

Travel agencies from Russia, China, Poland, France, Portugal, Facebook acounts, Flickr accounts (where one member was using mine and other members photos as being hers), lots of blogs - i've found it for every tastes, even pharmacy websites near where I live were using them, or a fado group which took one of my photos and made the cover of one of their records.

I honnestly don't care if a student asks me to use one of my photos for a work, I even offer him/her the photo with pleasure, or if somone copies one of my photos and uses it as a desktop background, as I don't use photography as a matter of living

What really troubles me, is those who take it and make money thru them like travel agencies and other companies.

But what really p... me off is the fact that we are completely powerless to avoid this.

I write these words to, again, raise the question and kindly ask the moderators and those who rule the site to come in and discuss this issue, as also those who are taking our photos are making money thru the site and IB.

If I was runing a site like TE and someone was getting profit of it I wouldn't be very happy about that... And, IMO, this is precisely what is happening, IB/TE pays to have the site runing and those guys are taking profit of it.

Some suggestions to avoid or at least make the point to those who are STEALING our work:

- block the possibility of right clicking with the mouse to make a copy of it or at least making an adivse pop out when they do it, adverting for the fact that those images are copyrighted

- inserting an automatic advise under each photo with the copyright advise, even if we have the possibility of having it in the note, would maybe raise their attention to the fact they are making something illegal.

Just 2 suggestions.... any other someone?

From my side, I was writing mails to all of those using illegaly my photos, and already got some of them erased from the sites, blogs and others where they were being used, but I can tell you that LOTS of other member photos were at those sites.

If you want to take some time to check if your photos are being used on other websites, one of many possibilities you have is copying the URL of the photo and GOOGLE it, and afterwards make the check by image, google will compare the image to others existing in the WEB and give you some very interesting results.
This is one way but I know that there some websites where we can check it in other way.

If someone knows a more efficient way of checking it please let me know about it, i'll be glad.

Hope to ear from you and our moderators.

Paulo

Last edited by Vato_Law; 07-03-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 PM

Hi Paulo,

It would be great if this site could be made totally secure against image theft but I don't believe that is possible. One of the major features of the site is the ability to do workshops of people's work. In order to do the workshop the image needs to be copied to the local computer. I don't think there is any way for one member to be differentiated from another as intending to use the image for legitimate purposes or to steal it for another site.
Even if the right click was disabled it doesn't prevent the entire screen being captured and then the image being cut from the screen capture.
I'm not saying that nobody cares about image theft as I suspect that, whether we know it or not, most of us will have had images stolen from this or other sites at some time. I know of at least 2 of my images which have been stolen by a Russian language site.
I don't know if there is any way the techies of IB could incorporate a copyright statement across the bottom of each image with the userid but, as you suggest, that might deter the 'amateur' thief (for want of a better description. Unfortunately, most of the images will have been stolen by people who know precisely what they are doing and couldn't care less about copyright.
Finally, there is a program called Tineye will also do a sweep of other sites for identical photos.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:35 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Reply to Keith

Hi,
I know that removing the right mouse key ability would also remove the ability of making workshops, which would be a huge loss for the site and its users, but if we weigh each sides maybe the loss wouldn't be that high. The best solution would be at least trying to change the way workshops are made, maybe forcing the user to write down a critique before it has the ability of getting an image would make them stand down a bit, I don't know just a thought.

As for the clear and really visible copyright advise under each image, I honnestly think this would be helpful and for one reason: no one would be able to say they didn't know the image was copyrighted, and afterwards the "conversation" would be different, specially for those "pro stealers".

As I said before, if I see one image of mine making the cover of a blog of one singular person, maybe I don't like the fact but it's not a big deal. Another thing very different is a company that normally has lawyers, that don't like their methods to be used by others, and gets here and steals a photo.
I think i'm not wrong when I make this differentiation.

What I mean with the advise, and I've been inserting it in all of my photos on TE this afternoon, is that in the case they ignore the advise, then there is no excuse. If necessary they will pay for that abuse.

You might say, ok you are going to make a company from almost the other side of the world to pay for stealing a photo? well if we do nothing they will keep on having this kind of behaviour, and I'm not speaking about only of countries of eastern europe, on my previous post I've mentioned on pharmacy that was using one of my photos and it shouldn't be 800 meters from my house till there.

Fact, is that I wrote them a message advising of the copyright infringment and they will pay for that photo, and maybe even will buy some others.

You mention 2 images stolen, yesterday in one hour, I've found more than 20 photos out there, and many of them spread through many different sites, and I was simply "googling" the URL and making the search by image.
If you want a clear example of what I'm saying just loose 10 seconds and google this URL [http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/32326...da_pena_ii.jpg] and you'll see how many results you'll get...

There's always a more drastic measure which would pass by inserting a huge watermark on each photo, but this would be restraining my liberty of exposing my work, and would be very unfair to all the persons watching and commenting, honnestly, our work on TE.

Finally, let me thank you for the time you took answering me and for the tip of Tineye but for the example of the URL I gave above, it returned 0 results while Google returned 11, thanks again anyway.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Hi Paulo,

When I try doing a Google search on the URL I only get one hit and that is for the TE entry. I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what.

I have simply entered [http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/32326...da_pena_ii.jpg] into Google. Is that the right thing to do?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 PM
TE Junior Member

Default ...

Hi Keith,

copy/paste the photo's URL into Google, when you do it, it should go automatically to another screen saying something like "to get corresponding images try search by image" [translation from portuguese and "search by image" should be hyperlinked]. Click on it and when you do so you should get something like 6 pages of results.

The only problem with this search is that google can be "fooled" by some similar images.

Paulo
Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Something isn't working properly. When I click on the 'Search by Image' link it returns the message "The URL doesn't refer to an image, or the image is not publicly accessible."
Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM

I've got it working now but not sure if that's a good thing or not! First image I checked I found here http://www.pimp-my-profile.com/faceb..._Hawaii/19545/
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Keith,

not all the images return results but maybe you want to check this results:

the site: http://pinkcupcake-cp.blogspot.pt/
Your photo: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...oto1171103.htm

the site: www.holiday-cottages-bibury.co.uk/id5.html
Your photo: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...hoto374224.htm

the site: http://www.vakantievoortieners.nl/le...-jongeren.html
Your photo: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...oto1171450.htm

For all this results: right clicked over the photo or thumbnail / copied the URL / past it on the google toolbar / click on the hyperlink on the upper part of the screen "search by image" - and you should find these results. Note it has to be done with the URL not the image address.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 PM
TE Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitht View Post
I've got it working now but not sure if that's a good thing or not! First image I checked I found here http://www.pimp-my-profile.com/faceb..._Hawaii/19545/
I've checked and this image is yours too, and the other results was this image on TE.

here's another site using one of your photos:

http://www.vrbo.com/49913
this one: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Nor...hoto252120.htm
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks Paulo, I've e-mailed the site about that image - let's see what reaction I get, if any.