Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
TE Senior Member

Default justice?????????

stolen

macondo Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2783 W: 96 N: 4530] (17183)
[2012-06-24 7:05]
[comment] Reply [+]

This 'photo', really a collage, is composed of other people's photos. For example, one of the images can be found at the site of the Bahrain Mirror at http://tinyurl.com/8ymqvgm
Other pieces of the collage are also stolen.
After earlier warnings about stealing photos, you will be banned from the site, Jacky.
Andrew
TE moderator

So this member had warnings about stolen,I mean STOLEN PHOTOS,
while many other photos (some of mine too) are deactivated(without any warning) because of a problem with the TOS.

What`s worse, theft or a problem with the TOS??????

I love how fair and consequent the moderators use the rules of this website.
Great job!!!!!!
And you wonder why you are loosing members.

Leo

Last edited by leo61; 06-24-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:01 PM

I think you are over-reacting, Leo.

Perhaps he was shown a little too much leniency, maybe leaving the comment was a bad idea, and I am quite happy to take criticism for that. However, I don't think you appreciate how hard it is and how much time it takes to find the hard proof that a photo has been taken from another site. One of the problems is that many of the sites (eg. blogs) that show the same photo have in fact 'stolen' it from each other, so it's hard to get to the true, original source which proves the member had stolen it rather than the other way around - after all, plenty of TE members are complaining about their photos being stolen. I had found photos in his gallery that seemed to be stolen but they were very similar to ones that were genuinely this member's. It was only after removing two, warning him, and getting his response, that it was absolutely certain the member was stealing photos. Perhaps, also, I was sympathetic because of the 'message' the member was trying to convey about oppression in his country. I placed the comment under the latest photo to state what would be done, and deter others from writing critiques, but wanted to talk about it to other moderators before 'pressing the button'.

The removal of a photo which breaks the TOS is hardly the same as banning a member, possibly for ever. One type of wrongdoing is obviously much more serious than the other, but so is the consequence. There is, as far as I can see, no fixed penalty for stealing photos, and like some other offences the moderators exercise their discretion [from the TOS: Occasionally, our forum moderators will need to use their discretion to determine the best course of action. We have entrusted out moderators to do what is best for the global community, including regional communities, when appropriate] I think some of the more bitter disputes and controversies in this forum over the years have resulted from actions which could be considered hasty. I would rather be cautious in exercising discretion, even if it annoys you, in trying to be fair.

Anyway, the result is that the member has been banned - only a couple of days after the first stolen photos were removed - and in time his gallery will also be removed as it probably contains more stolen photos. You can be as sarcastic as you like, but as a moderator I am not going to change the way I do things, which is to proceed with caution, whether in removing photos or removing members.

Last edited by macondo; 06-26-2012 at 12:23 PM.