Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 11:46 AM
TE Expert

Default An annual TE exhibition.

I'm just thinking as I trawl the galleries about the potential to give over one of the exhibition slots that we have at the Pixel and Grain space we run at Loughborough Town Hall in the UK to an annual TE exhibition.

it is relatively small and we generally print to 12 x 18 prints or in a relevant square format - we have a standard set of frames and print from an Epson 3200. We also make an on-line gallery too.

I am thinking it would be really nice to give more exposure to some of the wonderful work here and another opportunity to promote TE and raise standards by having something to aim for. Many of you know we also run an annual competition which attracts many TE and former TE members and we have also curated exhibitions by TE members.

I suppose we could have some sort of public process inviting people to choose their favourites or TE members could suggest work - their own or others - a little like 'our favourites of the year' and we could invite 15 of the photographers to participate.

My only concern is that we would need people to participate in the realisation that not all work presented here on screen is necessarily of a high quality in print - when we do the competition print round there are often disappointments - but not so many really.

Last year 340,000 people went through the venue.

I would be interested in any thoughts any one has on this idea.

bw Kev
Old 11-16-2008, 12:15 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: An annual TE exhibition.

Here is a link to the on-line gallery - http://members.charnwoodarts.com/pixelandgrain/

Sadly fairly small images which do no justice to the way we present them in mounts and frames - but to give you an idea of the range and the many different standards of work - it is a performance venue so some work reflects this - it is a key local hub - so we include work of local and parochial interest - it is a contemporary space - so we include work which is reflective of that too - it is heavily used by our local South Asian populations etc etc..........

We would be happy if someone in TE who might like to explore the curatorial possibilities of this idea took it on or we are happy to work with someone or undertake it ourselves.

We don't get any funding to do this but the local council provides the space and had the frames made - the rest is allocated from my staff time.

kev
Old 11-17-2008, 01:29 PM
TE Expert

No one interested?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 PM
TE Newbie

Kev - Im a little confussed as to what you are asking - is this something for individuals to put forward their work, or are you asking for us to choose other peoples work?

When is the show and what do people need to do if they would like to display their work?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 PM
TE Expert

I thought maybe it could be based on choosing other peoples work - a little like the 'undiscovered' treasures we shared with each other last year - I am really open to different ideas and approaches - for someone here to take on a curatorial role for the first time would be a real learning curve - another side of appreciating what photography is about - or it could be a more community choice approach - i am open to suggestions and ideas.

hope that makes it clearer - and thanks for responding Nick!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:39 AM
TE Expert

Vinicio is organising an exhibition of Christmas crib photos in Rome. ( see his intro). He might be able to help you!
Cheers.
Marie Louise.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 PM

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your post; it sounds interesting and I can't see any practical reason why it couldn't work once the concepts underlying the selection process are agreed on. However, I can't believe that the images uploaded on TE would be suitable for anything more than 6x4 or possibly 12x8 printing, remembering that many that look pretty good on screen are only about 150k in size and would display compression degradation if blown up. But if you have had the experience of printing such images on larger paper with adequate results, then I bow to that experience! I wonder if members could be asked to submit slightly larger images if need be, or would this be impractical. Anyway, I like the sound of it.
Regards,
Andrew
Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 PM
TE Expert

Hi Andrew - no we would need high res files for printing - a number of TE members have already done this for individual exhibitions or taken part in the final rounds of our annual Clickit! exhibition where the final selection is made from prints.

Our main problem would be that some work which works quite well at a small resolution is not always good enough when it comes to print display even through a larger file size.

I guess I could just suggest a selection process and see what people think.

bw Kev
Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 PM

An interesting idea. Did you have any particular theme in mind?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:32 PM
TE Expert

I guess we could suggest a set of different themes and run a time limited vote on here to select which one is favourite:

Let's see if this gets any response:

Until Monday 15th December please vote for an exhibition theme for work from 2008 out of the following choices:

Landscapes
Portraits
Buildings
Sports
Decisive Moments
Events

When we close the book on the theme an announcement will be made about the process for selecting work!

best wishes Kev