New thread about points counting - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 06:33 AM
TE Expert

The values are not halved anymore.
However adding of the new points still does not work.
Example:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1328665.htm
is 34 should be 42
Unless you set it up so that they update once every 24h?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 AM
TE Expert

To Keitht,
Please don't be sarcastic Keith. We know you don't care about points, but you will have maybe read the good enough reasons why some people do care about them. After all, the site was first designed like that, and the system of points is part of its originality, and a reason of motivation for many people.
Just like marks motivate pupils at school. I know what I am talking about, having been a teacher for over 40 years.
And it's not about competition with other members, but rather competition between one's own photos. On Beta TE, you can look at a whole page of your gallery and wonder why some pictures have done better than others. Just like a good pupil should wonder why he has done better in some tests than in others.
Now of course, that good pupil or TE member will also take the critiques very much into account, in order to improve, but the point system does help...
P.S. Sorry, re-reading your post above, Perhaps you weren't being sarcastic after all; One never knows how to interprete the British sense of humour :-)) No ill feeling anyway.
Best regards on this memorable date of this century : 11-11-11. WE ?! won't be able to celebrate THAT again before 100 years. LoL.
Marie-Louise.

Last edited by maloutim; 11-13-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloutim View Post
To Keitht,
Please don't be sarcastic Keith.
Marie-Louise.
Apologies if my previous comment came across as sarcasm. It wasn't intended. I actually agreed that something odd was going on with points. The whole points system makes even less sense if the numbers don't add up.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:34 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Views Restored - but still 0 points

My posting today:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1329065.htm
started the day with no views or points totalling.
Now views are totalling, but still no points.
Strangley some of the points allocated yesterday to previous posts were added to my total points score, but I think my total is still adrift.
Good luck in your quest to sort this out.

Brian D.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:25 PM
TE Newbie

Smile

Hello,
Apparently, the half points issue is now fixed for good.
Now, I need to explain something. Since TE haves tons of data, we update all points once a day. So any positive critique you get today, will give you points tomorrow.
These last days, we have been working on new scripts for reducing the load on our server when we update points. When the original scripts were written, this site was very small, so the programming was not done with scalability in mind. As the site grew, this scripts became slower and slower, and more resource intensive.
Hopefully, these efforts will help us improve our point system.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Great -- so there is our answer: points will accrue appropriately, but will only be totaled once per day. If you find this to not be the case, please alert me and we will look back into this.

Best,

Paul
Old 11-12-2011, 08:34 AM
TE Expert

Default problem NOT solved

My latest photo was just updated.
However I see my second last photo, here:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Sou...oto1327856.htm
has 64 and it should have 66, since yesterday.
Means: no all photos are being updated
Old 11-12-2011, 10:19 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Points Not Accruing Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Great -- so there is our answer: points will accrue appropriately, but will only be totaled once per day. If you find this to not be the case, please alert me and we will look back into this.

Best,

Paul
Hi Paul

sorry to be a pain, but my post of yesterday seems to have stopped accruing points again! Reading 36 but should be 52. It seems to have stopped at about 13.00 your time yesterday.

Brian D.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:24 AM

Hi Brian,

It may be that 13:00 is the time at which points are updated. Have another look after that time today to see if the points increase. If they don't nothing will happen until after the weekend to investigate the problem as the tech team works roughly office hours US time.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:47 AM
TE Expert

Hi Keitht,
The update happened today between 2011-11-12 0:30 and 2011-11-12 3:07 (TE time). It is easy to check it looking at my last photo
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...oto1328665.htm because the points up to 2011-11-12 0:30 are added and the one given at 2011-11-12 3:07 not added anymore.
At the same time as mentioned above my second last photo
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Sou...oto1327856.htm
was not updated at all since yesterday.
I see Brian photo was still not updated yet.
Something is really messed up unless you say that update happens once per 24h but at different time for each photo