Membership without posting any pictures? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 12:53 AM
TE Newbie

Default Membership without posting any pictures?

Why is it allowed: many new members, but they have no pictures posted at all? For what, Adam?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Membership without posting any pictures?

I read recently, either here or on TL - cant remember, that people may sign up just to use the "contact" option. For example of they want to contact the photographer to buy/use a certain image. On poster was contacted by a media agency in this way.

Also, a member may have deleted all his photos or had them removed by the admins for breaking TOS.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 AM
TE Expert

Hi,
I was a member for five months before I started posting.... ;D
Old 08-08-2007, 02:33 AM
TE Expert

I agree with the fact that people should have the possibility to mail the photographer - for example to order photos that are posted. I sold some pictures that way, so I'd be surely in favour of keeping the option open, without directly giving away my email address.

The question is whether getting the membership is the appropriate option to contact photographers. In the end you might have the note "80,000 members!", but it has little impact if only 30,000 post pictures.
Maybe some option like "Guest member"? Same type of membership, can give comments and critique, but not build up silver/gold for workshops etc, can't post pictures, has no equipment profile, travelogues etc, but has the option to upgrade later to a membership that allows posting photographs.

In that sense you could then say "40,000 actively posting members! 80,000 members in total!"

What do you think?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:19 AM
TE Senior Member

I agree with this idea. Moreover, it is really annoying to browse in the "Members" window with so many members with 0 post/critique. Do you know how many pages I have to upload (move forward) to find out the members of my country in TE?... and I am in just letter "C"!!
There is no other way to browse for members (smart search)?
Cheers
Jorge
Old 08-08-2007, 03:33 AM
TE Expert

Oh my dear God. Tried to search for your beloved Chile, but I gave up after 130 pages and 20 minutes. And you are right. I now start thinking that only 10-15% of all members actually post pictures!! The list of people without any photographs is vast!!!

But here a way to find your Chile-members. In www.google.com type the following to search on:
+Country: +Chile site:www.trekearth.com/members

You will get a long list of hits for people from Chile. But it's strange that options like these are not possible in TE itself...
Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 AM
TE Expert

Default Members from a particular country

Kind of shortcut to find all members under Chile (or any country):

Go to MEMBERS then click COUNTRY - your adress bar will then list:

http://www.trekearth.com/members/page1.htm?sort_by=ctr

Try changing the "..page1.htm" with something else, i.e. "..page200.htm" - want take you long to find all members from Chile listed (presently) at page: 282 - 284.

The steps 'moving' at a time depending on what to look for... Unfortunately you can't sort by active and passive members
Old 08-08-2007, 10:06 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Members from a particular country

That only seems to work until page 300.

>Try changing the "..page1.htm" with something else, >i.e. "..page200.htm" - want take you long to find all members from >Chile listed (presently) at page: 282 - 284.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 AM
TE Expert

easier still
Click on the member tab at the top of the page
The click on country
Now scroll down to the country of your choice-this bit is long,but should not be.

Charles
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 AM
TE Senior Member

sorry, doesn't work that way... to reach just "Ch" you need to scroll 282 pages.
There must be an "advance search" engine, that actually doesn't exist, to look for things in TE, not only countries.
cheers
Jorge