Giving pictures to friends - What to do? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-04-2007, 06:09 AM
TE Expert

Default Giving pictures to friends - What to do?

Hi everyone,

I have always been giving pictures to friends if we were on holidays together, or if we were working on the same location. You know how it goes... 'You make such a nice pictures! Could you burn a CD for me?'. And everyone is happy and you're happy with the compliments.

But you keep on investing in your hobby and the pictures become better and better. And at some point, it becomes a bit of a question whether you still want to give your pictures to others in this way. I've been seeing them popping up on my friends' weblogs or as Christmas cards etc. Didn't matter that much, but if you get to a point that you feel your pictures and your hobby are getting to a certain level, you don't want them popping up on weblogs anymore. I'm getting more hesitant to give my friends CD's with pictures.

Any ideas how to find a balance between happy friends and a healthy development of my hobby? ;-)

Greetings, Dennis
Old 05-04-2007, 10:46 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Giving pictures to friends - What to do?

Dennis,

Why not tell them to avoid posting your shots in weblogs?

Or else tell them that if they do post them to weblogs, that you'd rather have them give you a credit and give a pointer to a website of yours (your TE profile for instance?).
When you burn your shots to CD for friends you could always add a nice note as a text file saying this?

It's your photos, your friends, and your hobby, so it's your decision on how you manage the lot!

Regards,

Rob
Old 05-04-2007, 12:02 PM
TE Expert

Hi Rob,

Yes, I understand. But would you give them resized versions? Would you give them the original sizes? Or would you put a small watermarked note at the right bottom of the pictures - something easily done in batch processing?

The things is; In the past you wouldn't give away your negatives either! You'd give them some prints. Now with digitals, I do feel a bit like I'm giving away my negatives. Yeah, I know that does sound a bit odd.

Thanks for your input!
Dennis
Old 05-04-2007, 12:29 PM
TE Senior Member

hi dennis,
i had a very similar experience recently ... i was more then happy to give pictures to friends, i gladly shared my work without asking for anything in exchange.

but after burning a cd to a friend (with pictures i shot at a dancing event), i found her on a discussion forum just as this one, telling everyone that she has 400 pics from that event and she will publish them on a webpage (not even her own, but a local events webpage!!! - and she didn't even bother to ask me first!!!)

as you can imagine, i got real angry and realised how dumb i was: it was my work, entirely my expense (even the cd's i burned the pictures to!), my effort and my knowledge! i didn't even get a coca-cola in exchange ... now how stupid is that ... you tell me! (... i'm not talking about charity sort of work or anything related, where i gladly help in anyway i can)

that's when i decided that the only pics i'm gonna give away from now on will be sent through email and at low rezolutions ... or the not so good ones - i know it doesn't sound very nice - but it's not the first time i hardly get a thank you for my work ... and trust me - it IS work (even if i love every second of it), even if it looks like a hobby to others - to me it means expenses and a lot of time spent to learn and hopefully constantly improve my photography.

so from now on i decided to respect my own work, if i want others to respect it, too!

Hope this helps, Dennis!

Have a great weekend,
Dora
Old 05-04-2007, 07:35 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Dennis,

Personally, I love sharing my photos with friends. If you feel your friends are misusing your photos, I would simply tell them either not to, or to give me credit when they do.

As to your question of sizes, I can think of no reason why they should need the original size. I would make them much smaller, perhaps 1024 or 800, and possibly include a copyright notice in the bottom.

-Matt
Old 05-04-2007, 08:59 PM
TE Junior Member

Rob,

Real friends don't take liberties. In future, I'd just get some 4x6 prints done and keep the digital files to myself.

Paul.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:10 AM
TE Junior Member

Come on... sell your friends and buy a better camera...
Old 05-05-2007, 05:10 AM
TE Expert

Hi Paul,

You're absolutely right... Guess I'll be doing 800 resized versions with a copyright note, and if they want to get a print, they can send me the picture no.

I just want to get one rule for all - good friends, vague friends, relatives, etc. Don't want to get into discussion with people why some get big pictures and others get only a resized version.

But it's a good discussion to have! I really appreciate everyone's opinion in this one.

Greetings, Dennis
Old 05-05-2007, 05:13 AM
TE Expert

Hahaha, already went for the better camera (Sony R1 -> Nikon D200).

Just posted this one on the forum to consider a price when selling my friends :-P.

Greetings! Dennis
Old 05-05-2007, 05:21 AM
TE Expert

Hi Dora,

Well, I have some dodgy friends but nothing compared to you hahaha. At least they give me credits ;-). But I know how that must feel...

Your remarks really help! It's really good to see that I am not the only one with this question on his mind.
I'll probably only be giving small resized versions with a copyright note. If they want a print-out, they can send me an email and they get the printed versions by mail. I want to make one rule and stick to it for everyone. (Then people can't worry if they belong to the 'real friends' or 'dodgy friends' category .... ;-)

Have a good weekend!
Dennis