Computer screens - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-10-2007, 02:44 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Computer screens

I got a problem for you guys. You all know that depending on the printer you use, your pictures will always be different, contrasts, brightness, colors, mostly colors. Well, how about screens? Well that two, and in my opinion there are more differences than at printing. Since a few months I’ve been working with a new laptop and stopped using my desktop. Well, I’ve had comments about contrast in my pictures that I don’t really see, till I switched to my desktop! OMG! Depending on where I’m looking, or the picture look bland, over saturated, too dark etc. So I don’t even know what I’m posting, or fixing.. So do you think there would be a chart or something that we could use to balance our screens? I know there is the “calibration check” in the bottom of each page, but that doesn’t seem to make calibrate evenly both of my screens....

So in fact we are all commenting on what we see but never what the others see, how can we be objective about our critiquing and be sure that the others understand what we mean
Old 11-10-2007, 03:51 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Computer sceens

There's a devise called a "Spyder" that can be bought (in the UK) for about £60. You use it about once a month to make sure that your screen colours are as near the colour space you use in your camera - which effectively means that what you take is what you see on screen. You can then adjust with confidence.

The next bit is the really tricky and expensive nit - calibrating your printer to be the same as the screen. I haven't worked this out yet and have got so pi$$ed off with the subject that I no longer print photos - I just get 'em how I want 'em on screen and take them to a pro colour lab.

Paul.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 PM
TE Senior Member

Getting prints to match your screen is not all that difficult. Depending on your printer, you should be able to find color profiles for the paper you are using on that printer. You must find the profile which matches both your printer and the paper used, but this should be supplied by the paper manufacturer. If you want to go even more specific, you can buy a colorimeter (a different version of a Spyder) which reads prints you make to make your own color profiles. These are more pricey than the basic Spyder, but they are available. Assuming that you now have proper profiles for your monitor and paper, you are good to go. How you choose the profiles will be determined by what software you are using to print from. If you are using Photoshop, any book or any number of online tutorials will cover the printing choices you need to make.