Close up shots of people from "exotic" countries - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-08-2007, 02:42 PM
TE Newbie

Default Close up shots of people from "exotic" countries

I have noticed that a large percentage of photos taken in exotic/ poor/ 3rd world countries tend to be close-up shots of people. In Europe/ North America most shots are of landscape/ architecture. What may be the reason in your opinion?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Close up shots of people from "exotic" countries

Many people in North Am./Europe fear that the photographer is stealing their spirit when he/she "takes" a picture of them...

;-)
Old 10-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Banned

Laws to protect privacy are stronger in North Am./Europe and people are more aware of their rights.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:05 PM
TE Expert

well, basically, not joking anymore, they are less friendly on approach than many "3rd worlders". I do not think it has anything to do with laws, though. Just the way they are.

Inversely, we can often comment how public and private space interlope in 3rd world countries we visit. And when people in the western world join in the public space, as in festivals or fairs, privacy is much less guarded. We're just too tense, otherwise. Tense, guarded exotic people will scare you off as well, after all, even if there is no law. Chinatowns, with so much stress and busy-ness going on, are a good example of places in 3rd worlds where close-ups are more difficult.

Also, many times, people assume they cannot take a picture so close, introduced or candid, so they won't try.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:19 PM
TE Junior Member

I don΄t think it has something to do with laws. People from "exotic countries" are more popular photo subjects, well, because they look more "exotic".

Example:
Post a close-up photo from a child from Europe or North America, you will get only a few reactions. Mostly "is this your child?", "post it on TrekLens" etc.
There are millions of photos from children of India or Thailand or Turkey or Vietnam, all of them with cute black eyes, all of them titled "innocent eyes" etc. They often have more than 50 points.

People are more interested in photos of people who look "exotic" than photos of people who (basically) look like themselves.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:36 PM
TE Senior Member

There are basically no laws in the west when you are out in public and therefore the people don't have any more rights. If you are in a public place, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy and are therefore fair game for a photographer. People might make noise about "their rights" in the west, but those people don't know the laws and don't realize that they are claiming something that doesn't exist. The law is not one of the reasons we see fewer close ups on TE from the west vs. the developing world.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 PM
TE Expert

They often have more than 50 points.
-----------------------------

Hardly, Gisi. Portraits do not fare well on TE in general. Especially that of cbildren. Though of course, it depends who posts them, as usual.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:37 PM
TE Senior Member

Darren,

I know there is a law (in Belgium, don't know about other countries) that says when you photograph a person, that person can forbid you to publish it. By accident I read that one hour ago in a union magazine. And this magazine is a well respected one, that doesn't write things they are not sure about it.
Of course, there is that law, but how many people know this law and how many people will ask you why you took a shot of them...
Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 AM
TE Expert

The truth is that we in the west, the first worlders, look outwards for our images. We are not very good at looking at ourselves. Yet that is a pity as by standing back for a while and observing the world close to can be a fruitful occupation. I also think this site will be a real gem when "exotic" people come shooting us and upload here. What will they aim at once they are done with photographing red telephone kiosks and the like? Answers on a biggish postcard please.
Bev
Old 10-09-2007, 04:05 AM
TE Newbie

Just a small anecdote. I lived once in Denver, and one day I was shooting (taking photos that is) Prairie Dogs in an open field out of my car on my way to work. Suddenly a big van with big man blocks the road down from where I was. The guy looked really pissed off. He asked why I was photographing HIM. He said I followed him for quite a few moments. I insisted I took photos of the rodents (I had an old non-digital camera then so I could not prove it to him). He did not believe me and threatend to destroy my camera. I thought my name would be added to the long list of victims of psycho killers in the America. Fortunately, after very tense minutes the man finally left (without the camera). Now, is something like this going to happen in New Delhi or Hanoi ?