Copy and Paste: Comments you should see - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-21-2007, 08:32 AM
TE Senior Member

Default check your existence

Kevin,
I'll be the last one to say I'm perfect.
Beginning of this year I read the intro of Joselias (remeber him?) and I was at a point where I felt unhappy about my way of conduct on TE.
I have changed, instead of waiting for people to help improve me, I have learned I can improve from looking and giving critiques to the other people's photo's.
Even if I write honest critiques, but they are all the same, I won't learn and improve. The number is indifferent. I learn more from two critiques that push my own borders/understanding, than twenty that keep repeating my existing knowledge.

Herbert Stein once wrote about cell phones;
"It is the way of keeping contact with someone, anyone, who will reassure you that you are not alone. You may think you are checking your portfolio, but deep down you are checking your existence."
Old 09-21-2007, 10:03 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Copy and Paste: Comments you should see

...and i don't think that pointing at someones gallery/comments this way is exactly the right thing to do on a public forum...i would suggest to delete this punch below the belt thread...cheers, arturo
Old 09-21-2007, 11:13 AM
TE Junior Member

The way I look at it is, people have way too much time on their hands or have nothing better to do, but to nitpick on others. There's no reason to wonder if one can speak and write good English or not, or suggest for a translation. If you know anything about languages, Hindi, Tamil, and other East Indian languages are not written in the usual A B C format. The guy made comments! So be it! I agree with Arturo. This is nothing more than a bully thread.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 AM
TE Newbie

It looks to me like,his so called "Copy Paste" skill could be due to lack of English knowledge.Please understand that , unlike French or German language keyboards,native language support for many Indian languages are not available/widespread.Hence this person could be repeating some template.Also understand,all of us have a style..a kind of signature.Given the fact that the this person's photos are of good quality,he doesn't need to grab attention.We all have right to criticize someone's photo and nothing more or nothing less.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:18 PM
TE Senior Member

I wonder if Arturo and Hodge have actually read the thread very carefully. I have and I can fine neither nit picking nor bullying. Since cut and paste is not allowed, it is legitimate to comment on it, when it occurs. However, the theme does not dwell of any individual but has broadened into an exchange of views on the validity of our own critiquing.

Davids
Happily Jean Paul Sartre died before the mobile telephone; otherwise, I think he might have said something similar. As a Buddhist, I believe the attempts to validate our existence are illusory, but photography is a different matter. This seeking of validation seems to be quite a valid function of TE. I, like many members, am serious about my photography, if I make a picture and show it to no one, it becomes a sterile process. The intent is communication and so, I need someone else to see it and to make some response. Even the comment "nice shot” has this valedictory effect. It says, at least, this picture connected with someone. By analyzing my connection and failures to connect, I can learn too.
The higher function of critiquing that you refer too, to help us to improve our work, is the most important but not the only important function of the critique I think.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 PM
TE Senior Member

" . . . not the only important function of the critique I think"
I never disagreed on that. To me, it is more rewarding to pick a photo that is meaningful to write about, and then get a nice reaction, I do not need a fixed outcome/return on my critique.

"By analyzing my connection and failures to connect, I can learn too"
thank you, I will think about it.
I'm somehow always closer to the Toa then the Te.
wai.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:04 PM
TE Expert

Actually, Kevin, given "l' enfer c' est les autres", I wonder if Sartre wouldn't have been confirmed in that thinking with the ubiquitous cells. Speaking of "deep need" I think any true Buddhist would recognize cell phone use is not so much to reach out, but to keep out the world out of one's little illusory bubble. A computer gets dabgerously close to that too, BTW.

The bullying here has al;ways been done by defenders of the system as it is, never the ones who tried to tink of better ways to act as a real community.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:06 PM
TE Newbie

Kevin,

...being troubled with one's way of submitting comments/critiques or even photos i would seek his/her advice in the first place...not a forum matter for me...especially with a remark "everyone should see it"...too personal...hence my remark to this thread...even if the thread itself started to dwell into another direction...cheers, arturo
Old 09-21-2007, 04:48 PM
TE Senior Member

I would agree. Singling out any user as an example of bad behavior, which is exactly what this thread started as, seems not to be in the best of taste as far as I am concerned. If there is an issue with a user's behaviout, contact admin. If you want to talk about behavior that is not within the ethos of the site, as far as I am concerned, no names should be mentioned.

I most certainly could see both nit picking and if not true bullying, at least a good portion of tsk-tsking.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:39 PM
TE Senior Member

At the moment two different issues are being discussed in this post, it makes things a little bit confusing.
Some time ago we had a discussion, where someone was accused, but not named.
The reaction was the opposite. the person who started the thread was told not to be so vague. He was also told -like your advise- not to start the topic anyway, contact the ombudsman etc.
We are a community that has to correct our own behavior, most of the time this goes without problems, that is a real tribute to ALL TE members.
We all agree that bullying should never happen on TE.
It would have been better if Om was contacted directly, and asked why. There are also other posibilities.
If I miss a note, and get the feeling someone isn't very goes in English, I suggest them to write the note in their own language. Maybe someone can help.
This would be a good solution for Om too. His photo's are good, and it would be good if they would have note. He can write them in any language, and maybe someone who reads this can offer him help in translating it into English, French or whatever.