Seeing things differently now - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-16-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Seeing things differently now

I have just purchased a 17" TFT monitor and the improvement over my 3 year old 17" CRT is absolutely incredible. Apart from the space it saves, I can see so much more in the images posted here. I'm using digital connection but don't know if that makes any difference. All I know is that I am now able to see far more detail and I thought I had my previous monitor set up well.
Has anybody else made the move recently? What are your experiences?

Regards

Keith
Old 01-16-2004, 01:02 AM
TE Newbie

Default Me too, Keith!

My 15" Sony (less than 2 years old!) went belly-up last week and the NEC 17" I replaced it with is amazing. The clarity and lack of glare are far superior to any monitor I'd used before. I have read since that this NEC is highly regarded, but it may have as much to do with increases in general in resolution/technology, etc., which seems to leap-frog ahead faster all the time. I too can see things in my old scans that others were seeing, but I could not. What a help it is to really SEE your work!
Old 01-16-2004, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Seeing things differently now

Funny that :-) Most people seem to think that the CRT is still top dog, but I think those days are past. I have a Sony SDM-X72 and it's an order of magnitude better than my old Sony GDM-200PST, which in turn was one of the better CRT displays of that time.

In short: I agree - LCD is the way forward!
Old 01-16-2004, 01:12 AM

I'm using Iiyama ProLite E431S. It is on the PCPro A list and has only just become generally available. What I have already seen though is comments on my latest post that it is dark. I thought the same when I was using my old CRT monitor but it looks great on this one.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:18 AM
TE Newbie

I had been working with a SEVEN-year-old Iiyama monitor until last week. I just upgraded to a Samsung 191t 19" LCD (after reading many photographer recommendations). It is great. Of course, any technology that is seven years newer than what it replaces should look a hell of a lot better!

The biggest improvement for me is the added screen real estate. The price per square inch for monitors really has dropped since the emergence of LCDs. Although I will probably rarely use the feature, I also like the ability to rotate the screen to a "portrait" orientation too. Quality is definitely better too. I haven't done any really specific testing, but generally, my experience mirrors yours. Finally, the smaller overall size, thin bezel, light weight and cooler running operation really are appreciable improvements over my CRT.

One thing I did and would recommend to others is build a hood for the LCD. I made it out of black paper board from an art supply store. It's about as thick as a 4-ply photo mat board. I bought a $3 sheet and cut top and side pieces, which I then connected with black gaffer tape. It helps prevent glare, enhances color accuracy (albiet marginally)...and looks really cool.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:25 AM

Stick gaffer tape on my nice new monitor !!!!! Not likely :-)
Old 01-16-2004, 02:14 AM
TE Newbie

Default Gaffer Tape/Monitor Hood

Do you know what gaffer tape is? Gaffer tape does not leave residue. That's why I use and recommend it (as opposed to something like duct tape).

Note that I am not taping all the panels to the monitor with lots of tape. I assembled the hood separately with the tape (two short strips), then set it on top of the monitor. Gravity does most of the work, and it only takes about 1 square inch of tape surface to keep the hood in place.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:29 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Seeing things differently now...LCD, YES!

For anyone interested here is the link to a review of the NEC MultiSync LCD1765 that I mentioned:

http://www.cnet.com/NEC_LCD1765/4505-3174_7-30468947.html
Old 01-16-2004, 02:50 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Calibrated monitor

How many of us actually use an external device to calibrate their monitor? I think this is the most important thing to do. A poorly calibrated monitor is not going to give its best. How many of the new LCD user here calibrated their old CRT? Do you see much difference then?

Thank you,
Thien
Old 01-16-2004, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Calibrated monitor

"How many of us actually use an external device to calibrate their monitor? I think this is the most important thing to do. A poorly calibrated monitor is not going to give its best. How many of the new LCD user here calibrated their old CRT? Do you see much difference then?"

I did calibrate my old CRT but only by using Adobe Gamma tool. I am seriously considering the purchase of a Spyder now that I have a new monitor. It seems silly to pay out hundreds of pounds for a good monitor, good printer and good camera and then not get the optimum performance.