Free Tibet - Page 2 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 08:18 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Free Tibet

Just a suggestion: having travelled to many continents in this world over the last 30yrs. I have met many peoples & thier cultures that may be considered 'diaspora', thus cultures dispersed for many reasons. Possibly we could could create a catagory that would honour these cultures as they exist in the world today.
As a Canadian it has been only be over the last decade that we have come to acknowledge & officialy honour the many 'First Nations People' in our geo-political boundries of reference. These too could be also considered as a relevant catagory. What could a cultural catagory or theme within Trekearth be called?
Old 01-14-2004, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Free Tibet

That's an interesting idea and I like it. I'm only affraid that when a category like that was created some political frictions could happen in TE.

Just some examples of the conflicts that could happen if someone inserted a culture in this category:
Tibet - China
Palestine - Israel
Curds - Turkey/Iraq/Iran
Basque Country - Spain
Catalunia - Spain
Tchetchenia - Russia
Northern Ireland - UK

Many other examples could be given by better informed members.

I think your ideia is good but should be very well conceived. The geographical division according to UN is the best way to catalogue. The rest could be left to the photo and notes.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:10 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Free Adam!

As several of you have pointed out, the world is less than perfect. Thousands, ten of thousands of people make their living every day trying to straighten out these messes.

Adam's got a lot to do, what with having a full time job, a new baby, and running this site. Let's not make him responsible for creating world peace as well.

How about we give him a break? Why not agree among ourselves that the United Nations classification of which parts of the globe are in countries doesn't suit everyone, but you can use those classifications to determine the spot on the globe where the picture was taken?

We keep this Free This Place!, Free That Place! stuff up and I'm going to start posting Free California!. No, Free Northern California!. Wait, Free Far Northern California!. Yeah, that's it....
Old 01-15-2004, 07:12 PM
TE Newbie

Default Well, since I have no choice......

I'm going to load my TIBETAN images under the 'Chinese State' of Tibet. Although, I hope those of you who see this as just a point for making jokes will take the time to find out more about the subject.
When peaceful monks in guarded monsteries, away from the ears of Chinese tour guides and soldiers beg visitors from outside to help free their country, it's a real wake up call.
We've never known occupation by an outside nation, so we take our freedom too lightly....it wouldn't be as humorous if it was you begging some tourist from another country for help, Bob. And I wouldn't count on the UN to come to your rescue either...they have no testicles now.
Anyway, I'll let it drop. I've gone round & round with Chinese members at another photosite who haven't a clue of what's really happened in Tibet and regurgitate the offcial Chinese line on this...and it is a lie.

PEACE...over and out.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:25 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Well, since I have no choice......

The way the Chinese, particularly under Mao, treated the Tibetans was pretty awful. But this isn't the forum to fight that battle.

BTW, do some reading of what like Tibet was really like when the monks ran it. To some extent the Chinese takeover was a side-ways move.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:54 PM
TE Newbie

Default You need to visit.....

www.freetibet.org
Old 01-16-2004, 12:22 AM

Default Re: You need to visit.....

Please...

This is a photo site, not a forum for political argument.
Closed Thread