Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Try doing workshops if you want to feel ignored

Yes, I've been there. To spend a considerable effort on doing a WS and then being ignored can be a disappointment to say the least!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:21 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Try doing workshops if you want to feel ignored

I agree with you nina. The reason for doing workshops,speaking for myself at least, is to get critiques and comments on what you have done and how you do it. I find it funny that I personally make a lot of workshops of peoples shots, and seldom get responses, but very few make workshops of mine. It sounds whingy i know, but it would be nice if people showed me what they would have done. I am at this site to learn about photography as well as the world so it would be good with guidance.

CAto
Old 09-05-2006, 01:48 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: The Critique Conspiracy

"poo poo" eh? I haven't heard that for a while! I guess it's more useable on this forum than the S word!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:08 PM
TE Junior Member

I havn't read anyone talk of publically naming names. It's certianly not something I would ever consider doing.

I believe you did though, to me, earlier in this topic when you referred to my involvement in a discussion about one of Furachan's photo?

"Its not a place for flame wars and people trying to emberass others."
Please, then, don't flame others and try to embarass others. I am talking only about your post earlier in this topic as an example.

This topic is for serious and frank discussion about critiquing on TrekEarth, not for dragging up any old grudges you might have.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:10 PM
TE Junior Member

"I believe you did though, to me, earlier in this topic when you referred to my involvement in a discussion about one of Furachan's photo?"

http://www.trekearth.com/read.php?f=1&t=286559&m=413385

Sorry, I refer to the post above.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:19 PM
TE Junior Member

"2. newer members are sometimes intimidated about giving negative or constructive critiques to established members - - that is their problem, I have given my share of 1 pointers or nopointers to some of the bigwigs here and they have reacted very admirably (they disgree generally, but they are not rude about it at all)"

I gave a 2 pointer to an established member and got shot down. X_X

No pleasing some people. :P

^_^;
Old 09-05-2006, 02:31 PM
TE Expert

Harjit,
if you go to the members page and select them by critiques, you will notice that 99% of the top members selected by their number of critiques simply never come to the forums ...
Why ?
Simply, they know the game and they play the game of TE, simply as that.
The few hotshots, maybe like me, that still come to the forums is only and only that they are as much concerned about the newbies here on TE as you are, they could stay away from the forums too cause I assure you that taking part in the forums doesn't improve the attention for you at all.
Of course you have to know some tips to get noticed with the time ... when I compare my first posts, there are a lot that could merrit more attention, that is for every starter on TE the same and old shots don't get that much attention anymore, one of the first tip to know.
other tips
- do post your best shots, maintaining a high standard for yourself will increase the attention, lots of people like to go to a gallery where they can chose the best they like within a gallery that maintains a high level.
- do your 20 ratings a day directed to those shots you target for, much more easier to write an encouraging evaluation and your considerations to improve it maybe still more will get noticed by you enthousistic way that you will express then throughout your critique cause you enjoy the shot.
- avoid the use of denegrating critiques, better to deny a shot then as everybody likes to be encouraged and in that way you chase a possible invitation away ... the more severe critiques will be accepted easier by some friends you made here or if you can put it still in a very pleasant way but a total stranger to you has to be contacted in a very fine way always like you do when meeting someone for the first time too.
- do make a list of friends that you encountered and pay them the honnor when they post a very good photo, it doesn't have to be all the time ... pitty I don't have such a list but I know it can help to improve your participation in an enjoyable way.
- enjoy and do your 20 a day, don't look back or you will turn in to stone, always be creative towards yourself and to othersin a enjoyable way.
- backratings and backraters all part of the game, you don't have to look down upon, simply use it in a satisfying way for yourself, you can make several personal list: friends, backraters, postprocessors, B&W, ... that can all support your need to get noticed .....
- write a thousand critiques a day :)) why not, also a mean to get noticed, up to you if that reflects your need to get noticed ... do return the favor when they go in to your invitations, better for your public relations then, you will tell, that is trading ... oh well if you would know what some artists sometimes do to get publicity for their work ... they even fake to cut their ear like Van Gogh did, so that is very relative too, if you are good you accellerate only the process to get noticed.
- so you have to work yourself up on two levels here, popularity and quality, the way you do it has no importance, never slam the door right in to your own face, it will discredit your popularity for a long time ...

Don't take all I said too serious, enjoying life is most important and radiate that here together with your creativity, don't forget the Beatles were popular too, bingo, cassa, cassa but they still were not Mozarts or Van Goghs, they suffered some poverty and lack of attention too, no cassa :)))...
Old 09-05-2006, 02:42 PM
TE Junior Member

I was wondering if people seem to forget that one shouldn't use this site soley for learning about photography. Use the internet. There's a ton of tips and workshops scattered around the web. Take lots of photos and learn to decide by yourself wether or not a photo should be uploaded.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:46 PM
TE Expert

why not :)))
you take poo, mix it with tomato PP and you serve it as a delicious dish, why not :)) the appearance often creates hunger no ? :))
Old 09-05-2006, 02:52 PM
TE Junior Member

True true true. I keep telling people that. ^_^;

TrekLens is for learning about photography. TrekEarth is for learning about the world.