Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 06:19 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Panoramic Tripod Head?

Hi all,

How many of you good folk doing panoramas are using panoramic tripod heads? Any tips or advice on whether or not these are worth the money and which ones are best to avoid? The ones I've looked at run in the $600-$700 USD range.

Cheers!

Bob G.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Panoramic Tripod Head?

Hi
All my panoramas are done without tripod exception for the night shots.
My tripod costs me 50 € and it's very enough for me.
Cheers.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:29 PM

The main thing is to get one that's capable of handling the weight of your camera. My brother has a Panosaurus which I think he's happy with. He uses a 350D and a midrange lens, and it's fine for his uses although he finds the extra weight and setup time off-putting; that's not a product issue really, it's just a feature of the device.

Also have a look at the various other things SpeedGraphic offer in that line, like the Novoflex and Manfrotto options.

Whether you need to worry about it at all depends on your panorama though. If you tend to include something in the foreground, then yes, get a pano head. If you're using an ultra-wide, then a pano head would improve things significantly. If you're only shooting distant stuff with a telephoto, then rotating around the nodal point isn't quite so important. Yes, ideally get one, but do bear in mind that it's not much use if you never take it with you ;)
Old 11-15-2008, 01:09 AM
TE Expert

Good explanation from you Andrian, but I am lazy to carry tripod with my material, exception for emmergency case, that's why I place it in my car.
Cheers
Old 11-15-2008, 04:56 AM
TE Junior Member

Thanks guys,

Very useful.I've only tried one panorama before and I did that one with a telephoto and normal tripod setup. However, I would like to have the option to make panoramas with foreground objects as Adrian mentioned and above all I want to have as little tweaking in Photoshop as possible after the fact. Funny, I'll carry all kinds of kit across hill and dale but I can't be bothered to sit in front of the computer for more than 20 minutes. "Selective laziness" I guess ;)

I've been looking at the Novoflex one but Really Right Stuff looks good too. I hadn't herd of Panosaurus so I'll check that out. It's just a lot of money to spend. I'll have to mull this over for awhile I think.

Cheers both!

Bob G.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 AM
TE Expert

With my camera (Canon 30D) I take several pictures of a view and the stitch is made with Autopano hardware.
It costs about 90 €.
Here is the link.

http://www.autopano.net/wiki/Main_Page

Cheers
Old 12-12-2009, 07:50 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Bob. I have one of the cheapest Nikon compact cams the L11. It has a panorama assistance. If you use this option, then there is always about 20% from one side of the picture at the other side visable after you pressed the button. Place that part over the next shot and you wull have a perfect scenery. Therefor I used the free PC program wich was included with the camera when I bought it. It works to 4 sides. Up to down, down to up, left to right and right to left. IDEAL!!!!! I bought that cam abouth 2 years ago for ca $200,00 inc 2gb card, PC-program and camera bag. I wish you succeed. Gerrit